How to stop the academics doing the "is this mic on"

GC1971

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually the thumpers at least understand in vague terms what a microphone is and how to use it. I tend to keep the fader low and push it up just before they start talking to avoid any huge thumps. The aforementioned blowers, on the other hand, are difficult to predict. I don't like to stereotype but they usually have a moustache, so keep an eye out for anyone with a moustache going near your mics.

I'm always amazed at how many VERY INTELLIGENT people haven't worked out that people are only going to hear them if they talk at a sensible volume and in relatively close proximity to the mic.

It bugs the heck out of me too. But as others have said you kind of have to accept that they are more than likely right out of their comfort zone.

I always try and ensure myself or the Sound tech has given them a brief intro, and ideally a sound check so they know, what and how it works, and have an indication of how it will sound.

Also ensure all mute switches are tamper proofed so that they can't mute it can be a big help preventing the fiddlers from stopping correct operation.

Archived