Small form factor reverb?

TomHoward

Hi

Does anyone know any half decent half or third rack reverb units?

I am looking for a small unit to accompany analogue desks on gigs where a FOH rack isn't necessary. I've found the Microverb but not sure how it sounds and some Lexicon LXP units.

Currently we have a TC Electronics rack mount but it can be a bit cumbersome with smaller desks.

Generally I'm looking for a vocal plate reverb, don't really need 2ch for drums etc

Many thanks

Microverb is perfectly serviceable, probably not as good as the Lexicon but I have one and would certainly class it at "half decent" for straight ahead vocal reverb duties. I'd say the TC Voicetone range have great vocal reverbs but at a higher price. They mostly come in pedal form but are perfectly useable as a general-purpose reverb.

for £50 the Behringer Minifex is a bargain. It's compact, easy to use and sounds surprisingly reasonable but it's mechanically a tad fragile - I've had to rebuild the shaft encoder and retension the spring in it but it's been as good as gold since. You could even afford a spare!

I had an Alesis Nanoverb for years--considering size and price it was surprisingly okay. It's interesting you mention a vocal plate--the effect they called Plate 1 was what I used 99.9% of the time--and I actually preferred that to a number of more expensive digital reverbs I've used.

I still have and occasionally use an Alesis Microverb. It's fairly old, so it's DSP is a fraction of of the power one would expect any reverb to have today, so the reverbs would hardly be described as "lush", but they are perfectly adequate for most occasions, and some presets are excellent: the gated reverb is suitably brutal, and there is one preset that goes on forever.

for £50 the Behringer Minifex is a bargain. It's compact, easy to use and sounds surprisingly reasonable but it's mechanically a tad fragile - I've had to rebuild the shaft encoder and retension the spring in it but it's been as good as gold since. You could even afford a spare! ...

... which might be a good idea. I bought one and the power supply section went belly up soon after. The usual Behringer "design": stabilizer ICs and transistors w/out heatsink in the PSU. The second one I opened up after a short test and heatsink-ed everything that got hot to the touch. Runs ever since. I bought this unit especially, aside from the price, for the tap delay option, which I like.

Norbert

It's purely subjective but I didn't actually care for the Behringer reverb sound on vocals--indeed I preferred the aforementioned Alesis Nanoverb (but only the plate...the rest of the presets were rubbish). I don't know if the Minifex uses the same reverb algorithms but a lot of the Behringer units still do.

My units (now sold) were okay for reliability and didn't have the hot running problem though...but they were earlier ones than the Minifex that's been mentioned.

I think the Nanoverb was the term I was missing - I was aware of the Microverbs but I was a bit worried about the age of the units - but the Nanoverb 2 is still a current product (£80 new from thomann) - assuming hopefully the algorithms didn't actually get worse that could be the one

for £50 the Behringer Minifex is a bargain. It's compact, easy to use and sounds surprisingly reasonable but it's mechanically a tad fragile - I've had to rebuild the shaft encoder and retension the spring in it but it's been as good as gold since. You could even afford a spare! ...

... which might be a good idea. I bought one and the power supply section went belly up soon after. The usual Behringer "design": stabilizer ICs and transistors w/out heatsink in the PSU. The second one I opened up after a short test and heatsink-ed everything that got hot to the touch. Runs ever since. I bought this unit especially, aside from the price, for the tap delay option, which I like.

Norbert

Mine's got a wall wart supply, had no problems with it. And the plate programme isn't brilliant, but I don't like the sound of plate reverb on live vocals anyway. I am, to some extent, trying to compensate for the deadness in my local venue.

I think the Nanoverb was the term I was missing - I was aware of the Microverbs but I was a bit worried about the age of the units - but the Nanoverb 2 is still a current product (£80 new from thomann) - assuming hopefully the algorithms didn't actually get worse that could be the one

Yup, used a Nanoverb for quite a while, very happily. Obviously, limited control - especially on delays - but fine for a simple, compact reverb unit.

Archived