What amp should I use for a pair of OHM MR 450

Andres_London

According to the manual, that's 270w/ch into 8 ohm, 450w/ch into 4 ohm

So it's a matter of what in your budget that meets or slightly exceeds that spec...

Matrix XT1000 perhaps, or QSC RMX1450, or EV Q66......

we use the same speakers if it helps they are rated at 500w rms 8ohm so if you use stereo then you will need 2 ch each at 500wrms @ 8ohms or depending on your sound setup you can get away with a smaller amp if using bridge mode in mono 4ohms.

we use the same speakers if it helps they are rated at 500w rms 8ohm...

Depends on the age of them.... OHM had/have a habit of changing specifications, so the MR450s I used to have were 300W/8ohm boxes. However, I fed them with more than this without too many complaints!

I would recommend 1.5X the RMS rating of the speakers for bass / sub applications. It is easier to blow speakers with a small amp working hrs than a big amp working gently.

The fact that you were running a CS800 before tells me that you don't need too much headroom, however the Peavy DDT anti clip circuit is one of the best available at any price, so may well have been keeping your speakers safe.

For reliability, look at the QSC ISA range, for road use, QSC PLX2 or Lab Gruppen IPD series are both excellent options, but on the pricy side.

Unfortunately, since it is a UK product, I can't recommend Matrix for both reliability and consistency issues.

If the Peavey has been good, then why not just swap it for a brand new one and carry on as you were?

Trying to find a new one, but they may not make them anymore.

we use the same speakers if it helps they are rated at 500w rms 8ohm...

Depends on the age of them.... OHM had/have a habit of changing specifications, so the MR450s I used to have were 300W/8ohm boxes. However, I fed them with more than this without too many complaints!

Thanks for these, ours are also 300w/8ohm.

Archived