Martin MPBB1 communication

Mr Steve

I've acquired an old MPBB1 uploader which I plan to use to update some software on some old MACs. I'm having trouble talking to it. I have Uploader 3.5 installed on my XP machine, which will see the MPBB1 (saying RS232 Connector MPBB1 Version 33.0), and saying Creating Download Data, but then it hangs - it does not progress on to Memory Erased. If I use Uploader 5, the program does not see the MPBB1 and says "waiting" on the first step - which is detecting the MPBB1 is connected. The MPBB1 is in PC mode. I have connected it with a serial cable from an old UPS, with a gender bender on it, as well as a 9 pin serial modem cable. The modem cable does not see the device at all, but the UPS cable works, so I presume that is the correct pin-out.

Any ideas as to how to get this box talking to a PC?

I don't know if this is any help, but when I used an MP2 uploader several years ago I made a 3-wire serial cable as per the diagram in the MP2 manual. I've got myself another MP2 now, but have yet to play with it having failed to realise that the software might not work on my Mac. Time to dig out my old laptop...

Sorted. Thanks gyro- seems it's better to make your own serial cable rather than blindly try various ones found in a box. The uploader is now seen by both 3.5 and 5 versions of the software, and downloads software correctly! :)

Archived