Glasgow 2014

kerry davies

Posting this here as I do not want to detract from the debate about rigging in Safety and this might be one for the files. My link

Note the emphasis on TDS and what the future might hold for all major events builds.

Mods might wish to move this later.

This case is interesting in that it is electrical safety and more so that the prosecution was brought under breech of CDM which will apply to events builds, in some form, fairly soon.

Yep, it's gonna be just like the Olympics, fun fun fun!

I've got 2 months up there and already been warned no ladders allowed so gonna be carting alot of scaff tower about with me.

H+S can be a major problem on some sites but it does seem that the more regulated sites which are safe enough already go into almost lock down and the unregulated sites - some festivals etc get left alone. A similar accident to the one described happened at one of the sites during build for Olympics - 63/3 socket was removed from a cable and poked through temp wall; supply was energised before socket was put back on and bish bash bosh electrician gets hospitalised. So no amount of Risk Assessments and Method Statements can prevent people cutting corners unfortunately.

So just like the Olympics we have to watch a series of on-line videos and complete a quiz to get a H+S cert.

The Glasgow videos include such classics as:

"Make sure you have something to eat and drink before you leave (for work)"

"If the weather's bad you'll need to wear the appropriate wet weather clothing"

There was also a mention about step ladders so hopefully not completely banned as I first thought

The Glasgow videos include such classics as:

"Make sure you have something to eat and drink before you leave (for work)"

"If the weather's bad you'll need to wear the appropriate wet weather clothing"

When I did the Olympic ones there was a big emphasis about getting a proper night's sleep before work / taking correct breaks / eating a wholesome meal / that kind of thing

By the time we got to 2 weeks before the event, I was just eating crisps and bananas and doing back to back shifts, much like everyone else was doing.

Basically, many areas of Olympic H&S seemed to be 'adaptable' depending on how much work needed to be done...

As for ladders, I spent a whole day working as a scissor lift operator so that the electrician could put the emergency exit signs on top of the doors. Like - normal doors. 2.2m ish. Jobs for the boys!!

• 1 month later...

Oh yes. It's been fun, fun, fun alright!

As someone who hasn't exactly been quiet about safety on site for many years, I welcome the experience of 'safety by the book' on the CWG. It's a refreshing change from the culture of bare acknowledgement and ignorance from whence we came.

The accreditation administration and the endless H&S forms, training & video cartoons all serve a very important purpose - keeping everyone safe by minimising the risk to an acceptable level. I am interested to see how the situation develops as the schedule advances towards the inevitable. However it goes, at least everyone will have had a taste of the standards that are expected and hopefully a culture exists where safety is everyone's priority, even when the going gets tough.

It's not ideal but it is an unfortunate necessity to ensure full compliance by all. For some it is a utopia others a dystopia. I certainly hope that part of the legacy that the Games leaves is a better understanding and awareness of safety for individuals working at all levels of the industry in Scotland. An example of the standards that all employers and employees should aim to achieve. Their continuing improvements will be demonstrated by better management by employers which will encourage worker engagement resulting in lower accident rates on site.

There is a new catchphrase in town: It's not about what you know. It's about who you know and the evidence you can provide that gives validity to your competences because the end client requires the documentation as per a condition in the contract of service.

Oh yes and if you can get a bed in or around Glasgow and want a job on the Games get it touch with recruitment@diamondeventservices.com quoting BlueRoom (Mods: sorry for shameless plug)

Just remember " If it's out of play, Don't do it"

Us broadcasters have had to do the one size fits all safety quiz too but here's hoping the madness of London with venue specific training suited to construction workers and no step ladders is not what we have to endure!

Sochi was totally the opposite and I had several safety concerns on the commentary gantries but they were totally ignored as was most of the health and safety for Russian contractors!

Meanwhile here is a video from the head of G4s security: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob1rYlCpOnM

Shame about London, Gary. Maybe you should have stuck closer to the events boys who had few problems once Star and others had sorted out the appropriate regimes?

Hi John, happy solstice. Your post seems to suggest you are well ahead of the game if and when CDM For Events gets going. The other H&S thread had me going back to the Robens report that brought us HASAWA. That made two fascinating points I had forgotten.

The first is that the CBI were among the most vociferous in demanding HASAWA.

The second being that the UK was already one of the safest places to work in the world but attitudes back then were; "We are the best and thus must get better to remain the best." That mentality, taken in this context of sporting events, seems to be most admirable. What was good enough for us as youngsters is not good enough for the youngsters today, to quote Dave Keighley and others.

Archived