Using Polycarbonate Twin-Wall

IRW

Hi All,

I'm starting to see more and more shows that I work on coming through theatres with flats and set elements made using polycarbonate twin-wall style materials, instead of the traditional plywood sheet. Now I'm in the process of designing a small touring set, (think small box-set style room), and am contemplating the use of polycarb to keep weight down, and also take advantage of the translucent properties.

For this set I'm hoping to take a wall-paper approach as it is mainly a house interior, but I'm not too sure what sort of adhesive I'd use- would normal wallpaper paste still do the job? Obviously plywood/plaster/usual materials for wallpaper application are very absorbant, whereas polycarbonate is most definately not...

Thanks,

Ian

Wallpaper paste would sort-of adhere but not amazingly well - I'd doubt it would withstand the rigours of touring at all well. For sticking posters and signs to correx (basically the same as you are trying to do here) we normally end up using spray-mount adhesive for the first poster on the board and then wallpaper paste to stick subsequent ones on top - so effectively sticking paper to paper. One thing to watch out for is that you do get different grades of this sheet material with different fire ratings and certifications - the same stuff is used for everything from a substrate for printing adverts on to, in place of underlay with carpets, exhibition shell walls, house building, hobbies... Always check the paperwork carefully as we've been burnt in the past with 2 products that seemed identical (one cheaper than the other) but which had very different properties.

It is amazing stuff though!

if the poly carb is not an option, what about double/triple corrugated cardboard?

the larger stuff (with each corrugation about 5mm thick) is surprisingly strong for its weight, is relatively easy to patch up if needed, and is easy to work with.

Don't know though how it would hold up to fire testing. All I know is that I have seen it used for sets before as a replacement for canvas.

if the poly carb is not an option, what about double/triple corrugated cardboard?

the larger stuff (with each corrugation about 5mm thick) is surprisingly strong for its weight, is relatively easy to patch up if needed, and is easy to work with.

Don't know though how it would hold up to fire testing. All I know is that I have seen it used for sets before as a replacement for canvas.

I think you missed my point about wanting to use polycarb for it's translucent properties there...even if I can't use the polycarb, I'll be defaulting back to good old 3.6mm ply ;)

Do a decent size sample before committing...the striations can be way too prevalent sometimes...

Thanks for the heads up Rich, but I have use polycarb before, just in it's own right, without wallpaper attached :)

Archived