Panasonic PTDW6300

jameskerr87

Hello

Got an event which requires a hot backup and we are due to use the built in shutter for the backup, I'm by no means a projectionist but I've heard some models can overheat when the shutter is left closed for a long period of time. Is this true of the PT DW6300?

At the moment a DMX shutter is not an option but I am aware this would be a good solution.

James

Well thats what I suggested as they will be stacked.

I understand they're worried the lamps are all at different stages of life and that the colours wont match up too well. (there is 2 screens so 4 projectors)

Would projecting a black image be an idea? we will have remotes wired to FOH position so could change the input source if needed, setting it up to project black and no automatic shut off?

don't see the problem other than the fact are are out of your comfort zone to be polite. don't project black, that's just crazy, either run shutter closed as the lamps will run down and it wont overheat or better still run shutters open and get both improved brightness and redundancy. You will have to align your backup anyways so you may as well double stack them. with regard to colour accuracy between units, its not really any more of an issue with 2 extra units, either the projectors are properly matched or they aren't, its actually more likely that stacked pairs match than single units anyway, but the Panasonics have all the options to get the units pretty well matched, but if I were hiring 4 id want them pretty close out of the box.

Also don't mess about with 4 remotes, put the lot on the network and do it properly then you can get the status of all the units and control them without the menus on the screen, and if you cant do that whats the point of hot spares? wait till it fails then switch over?

Its allways interesting when theres budget for equipment but not { and im clearly making a big assumption here and not meaning to offend} an experienced technician. In reality your less likely to go wrong with an expert on the crew rather than more equipment that no-ones too sure how to use, but that tends to be the industry all over.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Just saw this thread. There's no problem leaving these DLP units shuttered as hot backup. That has always been a design requirement for the professional venues these models have been designed for.

BTW - I'm at a 3-day corporate event right now where we've had a backup DZ21K (20K lumen projector) shuttered for 10 hours straight for the last three sessions.

Archived