Discworld plays

the kid

Ok people I have a question that at the moment is only in the thought stage.

I’m looking in to doing some Discworld plays, novel Terry Pratchett adapted by Stephen Briggs

Basically it involves death {(7ft tall) problem 1} skeleton

Also death wears a cloak of absolute darkness (which is easy because it can cover up most of the bones)

But the next part is he changes in to “work clothes†described as dungarees and a straw hat this is where the problem is.

I cannot possibly conceive how to do it because he is a main character .

If I think of anything else I will post it..

TK

Usually skeletons (like DEATH) are done in a black bodysuit with the bones sewn onto the outside of it. Then clothes or cloak or whatever added over it.

The face mask is a white full skull cap, the eyes work well with sunglasses under the face mask (this makes the eye sockets look black, just as long as the actor can still see where they are going).

I've seen it done in "Mort" with very authentic face-makeup, and just the cloak - the actor also had skeletal hands though I'm not sure exactly how that was done. I can't remember if this was the one where he does have to wear "work clothes" so I can't really help there, I'm afraid.

Guest lightnix
I thought about a body suit but I thought it looked a bit kiddy haloween style.

Maybe, but in the end don't forget the old maxim that, Theatre is the creation of suspended disbelief, meaning that it doesn't have to look totally real in order for the audience to believe that it is.

Think creatively. Maybe a mask, or some creative makeup (and possibly stilts) would be "all" that you need to bring Death to life in your production. There might be an opportunity for some UV effects in some of the darker scenes.

Have a look at The Unseen Theatre Company website. They seem to have produced several Pratchett stage versions and there are some photos of each production, although I can only find one or two of Death in his Robe.

Do put some pics up in the Show Your Show thread when it happens :(

Master Gopher - I've seen the pictures from "mort" and I can see how to do it. Hopeful I might be able to do Mort and pictures will be posted

I've Just discovered that my original thought that the play "reaper man" existed was wrong so I might see if I can have a go at some script writing.

Guest lightnix
I've Just discovered that my original thought that the play "reaper man" existed was wrong so I might see if I can have a go at some script writing.

Careful now, unauthorised adaptation of the book will be in breach of copyright laws and could well get you into trouble.

Yes I'm hunting out the relevent e-mails.

My old group successfully adapted two of TP's books, (Wyrd Sisters and Sourcery) and both Stephen Briggs and Terry Pratchett were fine as long as we paid the agreed royalties and included the usual copyright information. we also staged Mort direct from the Briggs Script, Our Death was very successful and worked very well. The main key were Custom made boots, which functioned like a cross between a platform shoe and a stilt and enabled Death to top 8 foot, dance and sword fight as well as being easy to learn to use (well easier than stilt walking) we then had a good latex rubber mask into which we fitted a polystyrene cycling helmet mould to give it permanent shape. cut, extended, padded the lower jaw so the actor could talk properly (we discovered it became a lot more believeable for the audience to see his mouth opening. In the eye sockets we fitted some small bulbs with blue gel wrapped around connected to rechargeable batteries to give the trademark blue glow to his eyes, and finally installed a radio mic into the skull. The body was the usual bones on black costume made from papier mache to make them 3 dimensional. A very large black cloak finished him off (oh and the 8 foot glowing blue scythe and 4 ft Sword.

I have quite a few pics so PM if you want to look at them.

Archived