DI'ing a 100V line

timd

I might need to get audio back out of a 100V line system, back down to line level. Canford make a box that does it, which looks a lot like a passive DI with a variable attenuator. Is it that simple? I've got some decent passive DIs with attenuation of 40dB (fag packet calculation says 100V attenuated 40dB comes out 1V, so line-ish level) and ground lift - is that a possible and safe approach? It's also worth noting that the two systems will be on separate mains supplies, does that make a DI box an inappropriate solution in this case, regardless of DI boxes?

I might need to get audio back out of a 100V line system, back down to line level. Canford make a box that does it, which looks a lot like a passive DI with a variable attenuator. Is it that simple? I've got some decent passive DIs with attenuation of 40dB (fag packet calculation says 100V attenuated 40dB comes out 1V, so line-ish level) and ground lift - is that a possible and safe approach? It's also worth noting that the two systems will be on separate mains supplies, does that make a DI box an inappropriate solution in this case, regardless of DI boxes?

I would do it by putting a 100v line transformer first and using the output of that to provide something a bit more user friendly and then use a resistive potential divider to get the level you need. This would have the advantage of being fully isolated - typically on a 100v system you would not know which was the hot and which was the ground wire.

Dave

E2A Mark got there first!

True.

But, it's probably not be a very good idea to have 100V on a jack plug, which could easily get shorted out, or plugged into the wrong hole.

Also, I'm not convinced that 40dB is a big enough drop. I guess it all depends on what it is that you're plugging into and how hard the 100V system is being driven.

Archived