Media Server Software Similar to Akaos

weazel91

Hi Guys,

I have a show of Ghost the Musical running in September running 1 x LED Wall and 1 x Projector. I have access to 2 fairly high end PC's to run any software which I require.

I have looked at resolume which looked ideal and I have had a play with that however Video's seem to be running slow (for every 10 seconds played it lags around 1 second, not ideal when you are running music from another PC which we will have to do). I have followed all the advice on their forums from exporting files in different formats and using the recommended codecs however none of which seems to be solving my issue.

I have looked at Arkaos MediaMaster which also looks ideal for what I wish to do but is WELL out of our price range.

Screen monkey also seems to lag at start of playing videos as if its loading them which again is not ideal.

Does anyone have any information on solving the above or have any idea to similar programs that run well in a show environment and can be controlled via DMX (sACN or artnet)

Thanks in advance,

Chris

It doesn't have an SSD at present no, however I have tried running the clips from different media sources none of which I see a real difference with.

The clips for the show will very in length and size however I have even reduced the res from 720p however it still seems to run in resolume slowly unlike say in quicktime player or windows media player where it plays how it should.

I would say it's a system issue, I have been using Resolume absolutely fine for ages and it does not give me the same problems. Maybe speak to an experienced Resolume operator in your area to see if they can come and configure your system. Are you putting the files in the Resolume codec? This can help. (Resolume's own codec is DXV, this does the processing in the video card rather than in the OS.

You don't need to spend THAT much money for a good media server, if you go on eBuyer (great for cheap PC parts) you should spend maybe £1200-1500 for a good machine. You will want something with at least 3 outputs - 1 for LED wall, 1 for projector, and 1 (or perhaps 2) for control. It's possible that a good video card will take up half the budget! If this is new to you, you could contact a lighting company, many will have experienced technicians who would be prepared to build you a suitable machine and configure it for you. If I was in the UK I would offer, but alas.

Alternatively the old Arkaos A10 or A30 media servers are still very capable. I use an A30 with Mediamaster Pro and it runs several layers of HD content with no issues. You can run Resolume fine on one of these although you will not get the full functionality of the machine as you would with MediaMaster.

For DMX control of video playback, Resolume is really the best value for money that you will find, so I would focus on solving your problems (and perhaps kitting yourself out with a well suited machine to run as a media server) rather than looking for an alternative.

I'll second the call the check you're using the DXV codec with resolume, my old mac will happily play back a few layers of full HD when it's converted to that format.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but make sure anti virus software etc is all turned off when trying to run your shows, they can really slow a system down.

HI Guys

I have exported the video in the DXV Codec. I have found that all the videos seem to be running slightly slow, however if I set the play back speed to 1.02 instead of 1 they seem to play at the correct speed...

Odd however it seems a quick fix at present.

Thanks again!

When using Resolume make sure there is no audio on the video clip (unless you need it there). Even if the audio seems to be silent you should disable it in Resolume. Not only does playing back the audio seem to slow everything down but your clip is probably trying to synch to the beat of the audio.

I've also been having some issue with incorrect speed in Resolume on DXV clips - seems very strange!

It does seem odd. Let me know if you find a solution.

When using Resolume make sure there is no audio on the video clip (unless you need it there). Even if the audio seems to be silent you should disable it in Resolume. Not only does playing back the audio seem to slow everything down but your clip is probably trying to synch to the beat of the audio.

Hey. There is no audio on the files at all and in resolume audio is disabled. The files are not beat determined but composition determined so this can't be the issue.

HI Guys

I have exported the video in the DXV Codec. I have found that all the videos seem to be running slightly slow, however if I set the play back speed to 1.02 instead of 1 they seem to play at the correct speed...

1.02 seems a very odd factor. The easiest explanation for slow running would be something attempting to clock from a 44.1KHz audio output when the original was based on a 48KHz clock. I appreciate your videos have no sound but they still make be using audio clock as the basis for the playback video frame rate.

However this would result in a factor more like 1.08 rather than 1.02.

All the other things I can think of would result in the video running faster than it should do rather than more slowly.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input mate.

How would I go about checking this?

Chris

HI Guys

1.02 seems a very odd factor. The easiest explanation for slow running would be something attempting to clock from a 44.1KHz audio output when the original was based on a 48KHz clock. I appreciate your videos have no sound but they still make be using audio clock as the basis for the playback video frame rate.

However this would result in a factor more like 1.08 rather than 1.02.

All the other things I can think of would result in the video running faster than it should do rather than more slowly.

• 3 weeks later...

you need to ensure the clips are set to "timeline" playback not "BPM" playback.

you also need to check the global speed control and layer speed controls are not set incorrectly.

you should also ensure your monitor refresh is matched to the clips framerate. (if your clips are 25FPS then all your monitors / outputs should be set to 50hz).

Archived