Radiomic decision:

richie1575

Hello! I'm off to the US for a couple of days! Whilst I'm over there, I'd like to buy a radio mic system (Hand Held). 2.4ghz type.

My shortlist is as follows: have included what catches my eye on each:

Sony DWZM50 (like the simplicity of setup plus it looks the part!)

Line6 XV-D75 (like the versatility that it "models"... But do I need that?)

Shure GLXD27B87 (like the battery charge feature plus used a wired Beta 87 and liked it!)

As many on here will be far more familiar with these products, please can I have your input? The mic will be used for a variety of general PA tasks in one or 2 venues only!

Your expert input is needed... I'm getting giddy like a kid in a sweetshop! Please help me decide!

Cheers

Richie

I advise you to buy in the UK if the kit is for use in the UK. US kit is not routinely supplied with power supplies that will work worldwide and there are sometimes issues with worldwde guarantee support. Go to the US, have a nice holiday and choose what you want calmly when you get back and you are not thinking like an idiot.

Also, don't forget that a ticket price in $ that looks low will be a good bit closer to the UK price once you take into account currency charges and VAT.

I looked quite hard at buying some kit last time I was in the states. However by the time I worked it all out the price difference was negligible, certainly not enough to cover the potential hassle if a warranty isn't honoured. Prices in the US look lower because there is no VAT on them (but watch out for sales tax!), however if you are VAT registered and buying in the UK you get to claim the VAT back, and if you aren't registered you are supposed to declare it and pay it when you arrive back in the country.

The nice thing about the internet is you can do a lot of price checking online before you go, so by all means run the figures on some of the items you're considering and see how they compare.

Burst my bubble somewhat... But can't help thinking your advice is very sensible! Yep! UK dealer here I come!

Cheers guys!

Further to that, now my feet are back on the earth... Which should I be looking at? Is it worth going digital or should I stick to my original Sennheiser XSW65?

The Line 6 handhelds have mic modelling, but of course the lav versions don't. Although it works really well, and the simulations are pretty accurate - the capsule response pattern remains the same, so they don't perform the same as the mics they mimic when you move in or out, or have monitors that work with a pattern to reduce feedback. Performance wise - I can't complain though - I like them.I bought an X70 for use as a spare, but have never needed it!

Thanks for the reply Richie. Often questions are asked at this site and the questioner doesn't appreciate the answer so it is nice that you have taken onboard what we have written. It makes it worthwhile.

I think the XSW65 is very good at that price point. When you spend more you get more radio mics working more flexibly together and better sound quality so you need to decide what the quality of the kit you will be using it with is so that it is part of a balanced system. If the rest of the kit is better then go upmarket. If the XSW65 fits in well with the rest of the kit then stick with it.

Your answers are certainly appreciated... Like I said, burst my bubble somewhat but in the cold light of day it is very sensible as is the advice to stick with what I know!

I take it there's nothing to be gained from "going digital" for future-proofing? Guess I'll never expand beyond 2 systems at any one time with what I do!

Thanks once again!

Richie

I take it there's nothing to be gained from "going digital" for future-proofing? Guess I'll never expand beyond 2 systems at any one time with what I do!

Not with the number of systems you are running and operating in 2.4GHz for me is just unprofessional.

Unless you are going to Sennheiser 9000 series I'd stay away from digital for the time being.

Not with the number of systems you are running and operating in 2.4GHz for me is just unprofessional.

Unless you are going to Sennheiser 9000 series I'd stay away from digital for the time being.

Please could explain why it is "just unprofessional" for you? That's quite a bold statement to make!

I personally stay away from 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz for most wireless stuff.

These are de-regulated frequency bands that are very congested by other traffic, over which our industry has no control.

I have certainly walked into certain venues and just not been able to get a line6 v75 to work due to other systems operating in the 2.4Ghz space.

I don't think that the Line6 and other products are bad products, you will just never have any guarantee of performance in the 2.4Ghz spectrum...

Well - I've never been able to shake the multiple Line 6's I have - in fact, the G2 and G3 systems I have are more prone to problems than the 2.4GHz ones. Since we started using them, we have never had one actually cut out, or let us down. The Sennheiser's are great, and better built of course, but I've no idea where the performance problems mentioned come from? Sure - they are not friendly TO other wireless users, but with people running around with iPads controlling sound and lighting, the Line-6s have never suffered. Occasionally, the iPads get knocked off their network, but that's about it.

As for our industry having control over channel 38? It's already very busy, and users annoy each other all the time. Having a license seems to offer no additional protection , in the same way it didn't in 69. 2.4GHz could well be 'empty space' by comparison.

As for Mjriley's statement - complete and utter rubbish. Based on what? Oddly, I've never seen any bad press or complaints about Line 6 performance - apart from the Mk2 software designed to be nicer to other wireless users, which a few people have complained about. Going back to the full channel setup cures all the problems.

I have to agree with Paul although my experience is very limited!

I'm running 12 ways of XD-75 in a school hall where we have recently installed a new wireless network, where one of the units is right in the hall, and another within the probervial spitting distance.

It has caused no problems for the Line6 system. When I was trying them after the wireless network first went 'live' (Receivers within 5m of the wireless unit) I noticed a couple of channel looked like they were going to drop out, so I powered off the wireless unit and it made no difference. So it's fair to assume the Line6 is top dog. There must have been more environmental related factors at play, which can affect ANY wireless audio system, digital or analogue (UHF or VHF).

I'm not saying the Line6 signal is indestructable, but I've effectively done a like-for-like real life test over the years going from VHF to UHF to Digital and so far the digital has proven most robust. Admittedly using the kit just a few times a year (single figures!!) is far from comprehensive long term testing, but the environment has stayed the same, although there are now more digital radio waves floating around so it's a reasonable guide :)

None the less, Blueshift makes valid points, but not much more valid than using Ch70, 68/69, 38 etc where you have little or no control over traffic.

None the less, Blueshift makes valid points, but not much more valid than using Ch70, 68/69, 38 etc where you have little or no control over traffic.

You are correct that Ch 38/68/69/70 is a bit of a free for all.

However, even when you're not using frequencies licensed by JFMG, there are still relatively few devices licensed for use at all in the UHF spectrum. Not to mention, you can pay for some frequencies in adjacent channels and be relatively assured that you won't have to compete with other devices.

Not so for 2.4Ghz. Lots of things use 2.4Ghz that aren't Wifi. Microwaves, Zigbee, W-DMX, etc... And that means you have more potential sources of interference.

Here is some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.4_GHz

You are correct that Ch 38/68/69/70 is a bit of a free for all.

However, even when you're not using frequencies licensed by JFMG, there are still relatively few devices licensed for use at all in the UHF spectrum. Not to mention, you can pay for some frequencies in adjacent channels and be relatively assured that you won't have to compete with other devices.

Not so for 2.4Ghz. Lots of things use 2.4Ghz that aren't Wifi. Microwaves, Zigbee, W-DMX, etc... And that means you have more potential sources of interference.

Here is some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.4_GHz

Actually, channels 68 and 69 aren't a free for all. They're now allocated for mobile broadband purposes and anyone still using radio mics or IEMs on those frequencies is breaking the law. They'll find out soon enough when I high power digital signal obliterates their show.

As for 38 and 70, yeah, that's a free for all. Channel 70 (well, a narrow sliver of channel 70) is available to use licence free and Channel 38 is on a "UK shared" licence which means anyone can buy a licence and take their chances. The only way to get some protection is to spend a fair bit of money on a temporary site licence which will give you sole access to a co-ordinated (i.e. checked) frequency at a specific location. Obviously this doesn't stop others powering up illegally but at least allows you to complain if they do.

In our touring rig we have some Sennheisers on ch 38 (IEMS) and the Line 6s. To date, we've had more problems with ch38 in terms of interference than the 2.4GHz systems - Every Tom, Dick and Harry is buying channel 38 gear - and many places have very strange systems. Our IEMS power up when the rack gets connected and on perhaps four or five occasions, our IEMS feed into something left turned on. Often a PA hurts into life and instant feedback. I have got used to it now. Many places seem to have systems installed in racks where amps and receivers are always on, and they simply turn on the handheld to make them work for announcements - Our IEMs burst forth spectacularly!

Has anyone actually got a Line 6 that gets interfered with?

Archived