Stores close to Leicester with X32 family on display

jbaileypro

Hi all,

I've been trying to locate some shops local to me to have a look at the X32 producer and compact. I'd like to be able to have a play with them side by side if possible.

Does anyone know anywhere that has both in their showroom near Leicester? I've tried the Behringer distributer page but most of the stores don't actually stock any of the X32. I've also seen that DV247 have now closed their stores close to me.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Since the sad demise of Academy of Sound, we're somewhat bereft of that kind of shop around here now. You could try Music Junkie on Lee circle as that's about the only place I know of now.

music junkie don't stock them they don't really do much live stuff Shez... the closes place I know of that would probably able to have both in front of you will be Novum AV in tamworth... if you want an M32 in leicester on another hand I will be stocking one soon

sam

...may be easier to hire an x32 than find a shop with one.

re comparing the family - what you see is very much what you get - it's all the same software, the same interaction with ipad, iphone, pc's etc.

the rack is a compact without a surface

the producer is a compact without scribble strips and smaller screen.

the compact is the same as the full size but with only 16 in/8 out

the full size (your best bet for hire or to see in the wild/shop) - is 32 in and 16 out.

the best way to assess what they are able to do is to download the x-edit app onto your pc (or mac) and to look at the front and back photos on the behri web site. the app is very similar to the physical screen layout.

wherever you go though you won't see the new software, which is due for release next week or two I believe - for that youtube is your best bet and will show you a few useful tools - but to be honest x edit and the web site pictures will give you more insight than a half hour in a shop.

Thanks for all the great replies!

I've seen the (full size) X32 in the flesh a couple of times when touring shows have brought them in as monitor consoles. I have even had the chance to mix some supports with an x32 on one occasion. I really like the style and workflow of the desk at the price.

The main reason why I am looking at just the X32 Producer & Compact is due to most of the smaller events I do away from my workplaces are around or under 16 inputs. I really like the flexibility of being able to use an S16 in the future to get another 16 to make the full channel count if needed. I am stuck between the two though as they both have the same power under the hood. I am steering towards the producer due to lower cost and it may end up sitting on stage while I mix on my iPad. I am still very sceptical of solely mixing on an iPad so I have ruled out the X32 Rack. It may be hired out on occasions to small events so there needs to be some kind of control surface too.

The two main concerns with the Producer are:

- Is the 5" screen too small? I will probably always have my iPad with me so I can use that for some functions but does it have the ability to follow the console like in the yamaha app?

- If mixing directly on the surface does the Producer's lack of scribble strips make mixing annoyingly hard? I would of thought if I were to expand to 32 inputs plus effects returns and USB routing I would be very confused very quickly due to only having 8 input faders. Unless there is a clever taping system like the Avo Lighting desks I don't think I could find enough room for 6 rows of input markers? If the iPad can follow the desk it may be able an alternative to the scribble strips.

What are people’s thoughts?

PS. Daleboy74 - I might drop you a PM about having a look at your X32 Compact. Thanks again for your generosity.

you've got the bank buttons the refer to

things in layers of eight should be manageable, will probably make you group things into eight differently, could even be beneficial.

the new x32 2.0 software lets you expand the bank from 8 to 16 across the buss faders as well.

I'm really interested in the rack mountable producer.

I don't think the ipad app follows as its for an independent user to do monitors of the other way round.

Cheers for clearing up about the iPad app. As I've never used an iPad with one I didn't know.

I also didn't know that with V2 of the software you can extend the channels across both banks of faders. That makes things much more manageable!

Thanks for again for all your replies. I think I may take the plunge and order one from a certain place that are usually very flexible with returns.

Thanks,

The two main concerns with the Producer are:

- Is the 5" screen too small? I will probably always have my iPad with me so I can use that for some functions but does it have the ability to follow the console like in the yamaha app?

- If mixing directly on the surface does the Producer's lack of scribble strips make mixing annoyingly hard?

To me (also considering a compact desk for my own work, and to replace my 01v96v2) the lack of scribble strips is the deal-breaker for the Producer - and just stupid. Just *too* easy to foget what you are and do something stupid (as I do from time to time with my 01v96!). If they had just left these in, any other restrictions on the Producer would have been OK.

I initially thought they couldn't do the expanded 6 channel view, given the buttons available, but the interface they've gone for is to press one layer button while holding down another one. Then the first layer goes to the left hand bank, the second one to the right hand bank. This looks pretty intuitive to me, and makes real sense - as well as explaining why it wouldn't work on the full X32 (where the left & right bank are different sizes.

The Producer also loses the 6 mute group buttons, which you may find an issue.

Probably more important than the screen *size* is that the other consequence of the smaller screen on the producer is that the controllers below the screen don't line up with their indicators.

I'd also wondered if the loss of the 4 dedicated bus send pots from the full size X32 would be a problem, but they can be emulated by pressing the Mix Bus Sends View button which lets you use the controllers below the screen as bus sends in groups of 4. I kind of like this feature as an alternative to sends on faders as it's a little more obvious to analogue-minded people - plus it makes on the fly FX tweaks lovely and easy...

(all the above are based purely on experience of full sized X32s, and manual/photo interpretation of the Compact/Producer - but a Compact is looking like the toy for me - just wish it was a little smaller - especially in height!)

To me (also considering a compact desk for my own work, and to replace my 01v96v2) the lack of scribble strips is the deal-breaker for the Producer - and just stupid. Just *too* easy to foget what you are and do something stupid (as I do from time to time with my 01v96!). If they had just left these in, any other restrictions on the Producer would have been OK.

coming from an 01V96v2 you'll be absolutely fine and better off. Top left of the screen gives you a quick visual using the pictures. An improvement would have been a 7 colour Led that just pokes through so so can assign the channel a colour like the scribble strips, quicker visual reference. a coloured LX tape system along the bottom coupled with a piece next to each bank is a system I envisage. the aux ins and fx returns are now separated on different banks. you just have to learn the desk in your mind and become one with it.

The Producer also loses the 6 mute group buttons, which you may find an issue.
Use the user assignable keys.

Probably more important than the screen *size* is that the other consequence of the smaller screen on the producer is that the controllers below the screen don't line up with their indicators.
you'll learn quickly. plus tape labels.

I'd also wondered if the loss of the 4 dedicated bus send pots from the full size X32 would be a problem, but they can be emulated by pressing the Mix Bus Sends View button which lets you use the controllers below the screen as bus sends in groups of 4. I kind of like this feature as an alternative to sends on faders as it's a little more obvious to analogue-minded people - plus it makes on the fly FX tweaks lovely and easy...
the mix bus sends view is an alternate comprise and covers the gap well. 01V96v2 is sends on faders, better for monitors anyway. remember you can use an ipad as an additional controller for sends, anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I wanted to post a reply so you know the outcome.... I am now a very proud owner of an X32 Compact. I was able to get it for a very good price and I've already been able to have a quick play with some multitrack recordings.

Thanks for all your help as usual,

Cheers,

Jonathan

Archived