Odd contract of employment, comments

adam2

Can anyone comment on shift patterns for the police force? I know a police officer who does 10 days on, 4 days off, rather than the usual 5/2, so they can be assigned cases on the first day of their 10 day stint (based on average case times), but not sure what the hours per day are.

To weigh in with some personal experience. Many years ago I worked at a warehouse as a picker/packer. We worked 12 hour shifts where the pattern was something like 3 days on, 2 days off, 3 nights on, 2 days off, 4 days on, 5 days off... then the nights and days would switch. This was a summer job when I was a student and was ok at the time. I was earning money and I had no time to spend it... I was always catching up on sleep.

I still have some family who work there and I am told that they have now moved to an 8 hour shift pattern. The staff don't really like it but the change was made after they charted accidents and realised that the incidence of accidents shot up in the last 2 hours of every shift!

When it is just you doing these things, any accident can be written off as chance. It is only when you get 150/200 people to monitor that it shows up as statistically significant.

Archived