Radio mics in 1.8GHz

Simon Lewis

All,

Before I pick up the phone to Arquiva, has anyone bought a licence from them to use 1.8GHz spectrum? It seem completely absent from their website, yet Sennheiser (and some resellers) seem sure that JFMG (as was) will sell per frequency licences at the same rate as co-ordinated frequencies.

Simon

There is reference to the allocation by JFMG in the UK frequency allocation table (the end of annex B) this can be found Here

Thanks for that link...

I spoke with the kind folks at Arquiva, and they do licence frequencies in the 1785 - 1800MHz block as co-ordinated frequencies. The information quoted below is under the heading "digital" and upon checking with them they have confirmed that ONLY digital devices may use this slice of spectrum. As far as I can tell, the Sennheiser EW100 G3-1G8 and the LD Systems 1.8GHz radio mics are analogue devices, and therefore cannot be used in the UK. (In fact they can't be used in Eire or NI anyway)

Simon

Digital wireless microphones are now permitted in the bands 470 - 790 MHz.<br style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: 'FS Albert Web Regular', Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 16px;">From the UK Interface Requirement, the maximum bandwidth is 200 kHz and the maximum transmitter power is 10 mW erp (this may be increased to 50 mW for body-worn equipment). The reference equipment standard is EN 300 422.<br style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: 'FS Albert Web Regular', Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 16px;">Wider bandwidth digital wireless microphones (e.g. to reference standard EN 301 840) are not permitted in these bands. <br style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: 'FS Albert Web Regular', Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 16px;">Some channels in the 470 - 790 MHz range are currently being reviewed for other uses. Please see the Digital Dividend section below for up to date information.

From 2010 PMSE can also license microphones in the 1785-1800 MHz range based on 10mW or 50mW if body worn. These bookings need to be coordinated with PMSE so an application will need to be completed and sent in

I spoke with the kind folks at Arquiva, and they do licence frequencies in the 1785 - 1800MHz block as co-ordinated frequencies. The information quoted below is under the heading "digital" and upon checking with them they have confirmed that ONLY digital devices may use this slice of spectrum. As far as I can tell, the Sennheiser EW100 G3-1G8 and the LD Systems 1.8GHz radio mics are analogue devices, and therefore cannot be used in the UK. (In fact they can't be used in Eire or NI anyway)

Given as far as I am aware no one makes a digital system which operates in this band it sounds like waste of spectrum to me.

I know that this spectrum was originally made 'digital' only to try an encourage vendors to design digital systems, they ignored it.

It's certainly possible to design more spectrum efficient systems and even more resilient systems using all kinds of funky transmission technology however none of the big players seem interested.

It's certainly possible to design more spectrum efficient systems and even more resilient systems using all kinds of funky transmission technology however none of the big players seem interested.

So Sennheiser and LD Systems have a 1.8GHz radio mic package that can't be used in some parts of Europe, is free to use in other parts, and is being sold in this country by some vendors who advise a fixed site co-ordinated licence is required. However Arqiva state the 1.8GHz band is digital only, so either these products can't be used in England, or the fact that these are analogue systems isn't being divulged to Arqiva when licences are applied for?Of course, there's no guarantee that users are buying licences ;-)

Update...

In response to my query Andrew Lillywhite of Sennheiser has contacted Ofcom, who say Arqiva are wrong (and they will be advised).

So - we can buy fixed site co-ordinated licences for analogue 1.8GHz radio mics - for UK excluding NI. Nice to know everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet ;-)

Archived