X32.

Hypersound

Interesting that this should come up. I had my X32 out at the weekend and noticed across the front edge there are a few scratches in the paint work. Now I can't say I've noticed them before, but then again I wasn't exactly looking. It's been in the case since day 1 and has only been used maybe 15 times, 20 at most.

I don't remember dropping anything on it or anything like that - certainly not anything big or with any force, I would remember if I had. It's only been me that has used it.

Could just be me being careless (and forgetful) but it does seem a bit strange.

Nick

I have been seeing sporadic reports of this. it seems to be reported more with north Americans than in other regions and more with desks that are heavily used.

the assumption seems to be that when the front edge is scratched the paint/print finish peels so little nicks in the paint become bigger flakes.

some were pointing at sweaty palms and some were pointing at insect repellent on skin - but I don't think anything has been proven.

one guy I know out in the states who works the desks along with much bigger digital desks used the work around of duct tape across the front leading edge where you would rest your hands, trimmed back to the side caps - he did this before the console went out for the first time.

If it's true that the more heavily used and scratched consoles are the ones that are flaking, I guess that is something we have to expect at this price point. it is after all a pro-am retail desk not an expensive touring desk - it just happens to have a reputation and functionality that allows it to punch above it's weight.

for what it's worth, I work two x32 consoles - one in use 2 or 3 days a week as a hire and conferences console, the other touring small regional theatres once or twice a week all year round. both are looked after and receive a lot of tlc, both are only dusted to clean (no evidence cleaning makes a difference) and both are fine so far.

I do take some of the things I read with a pinch of salt - some are queueing up to shout 'I told you so' and have jumped on every problem and amplified the actuality.

I also think that one has to expect limitations at this price point.

lots of kit used in a 'professional' environment is really abused in a way retail kit would not otherwise be - people assume that if you throw it around and it breaks there is something wrong with it. I can show you pros who wont touch the small behri analogue mixers, saying they fall apart and they have the evidence of a well worn and knackered unit - and then you meet a musician in pub land who pulls his prize possession out of a flight case 10 years old and in pristine condition. the difference being tlc or absence of it. I always wash my hands after sound check and before I mix a show and I usually remove a watch strap and roll up my sleeves - you can understand why a pro wouldn't do this and may think me a little ocd. but then most of my kit could be called retail kit, aimed at musicians rather than sound techs.

I would suppose that behri would rightly point at any console that was scratched and refuse a warranty claim on the paint issue. but many sound techs would declare scratches fair wear and tear - meanwhile I would be mortified if mine were scratched. they have sold over 100,000 units now I believe - the majority of those have to be retail rather than trade users. I will be curious to see if the M32 uses the same paint process.

by the way did anyone notice the announcement of a price drop on the x32 range in the states that hsn't happened in europe yet - about £200 off the price of a full x32

and today midas have announced a price cut of 'upto' 30% along with their new neutron thing to be unveiled next month.

It hasn't happened on the rental X32s I've had occasion to use but, then again, they're always properly flight cased. I HAVE seen it on more than one expensive analogue desk though, usually traceable to stupid operators using white duct tape to mark channels...

I'd guess at a bad run of powder coating as a process, or something wrong with the powder. Assuming that all this is done in house at Music Group City, then I doubt they're going to have a separate powder coat facility for the Midas desks coming out of their. And,. I'd expect that the raw powder would be the same across the board to maximise economies of scale. i.e. if there were Midas desks (or other kit) done with the same batch of powder, or in the same process run, then I would expect those to show fault too.

I'd guess at a bad run of powder coating as a process, or something wrong with the powder. Assuming that all this is done in house at Music Group City, then I doubt they're going to have a separate powder coat facility for the Midas desks coming out of their. And,. I'd expect that the raw powder would be the same across the board to maximise economies of scale. i.e. if there were Midas desks (or other kit) done with the same batch of powder, or in the same process run, then I would expect those to show fault too.

is it powder coating?

I have looked at it before and I can't decide because the colour differences don't seem to be overlaid - like its a one shot print on process of some sort. I could be well wide of the mark though.

the scratches are below the first 3 channels - this is where I put my vocals and hence where, if I wore a watch while mixing, there would be more rub and wear. I notice that scribble strips are similarly labelled - top-cat would you say this is where your most used channels are or is this just co-incidence - and do you take your watch off while mixing? I started to take mine off a couple of years ago not just to avoid scratching consoles but because I often lay it beside a console so I can see if we are running over time, without twisting my wrist, while riding faders.

I am assuming the 30% reduction on Midas pro consoles must be because they are starting to manufacture in the same china plant (music group city) - but I have no evidence of this.

I notice the recent CPC flyer with the X32 in it has gone UP in price to an ex-VAT price of £2060!

Indeed, I seem to remember Studiospares having a brief discount offer on the X32 the other week, but warning that there would be a price rise afterwards. One rule for the US, another for the UK, eh!

...is it powder coating?

Could be a wet process, in volume there's not a lot to choose between them. Whichever it is, the longevity of the coating is very dependent on what's underneath. There are plenty of manufacturers out there who think that a good finish can be had be powder coating raw steel, ignoring the fact that the steel will happily rust under the coating.

Archived