CP62 Par Can controller

anniemac54

Firstly let me say hello to everyone as this is my 1st post.

My partner is a stand up comedian who has started up his own comedy clubs in & around our local pubs & clubs. As you can imagine some of them aren't very well lit for this type of event so he bought a T-Bar & a set of 4 CP62 Par Cans but the controller that came with it is a Chauvet 2/4 Channel Timer which isn't any use for him as it only has 3 settings available which are Timed, Chase & Audio. He needs something that will remain a solid light & maybe a dimmer as well. The Par Cans have Edison Plug connectors. Can anyone advise us of what we would need?

Hi

Are you sure about the "Edison Plug" part of your post ? Edison plugs are a 125v 15a connector, used in North America. There are other points which seem a bit off. 4 x 1kw cp62 pars, on one side of the stage, running off a 13a socket, with nothing to balance it on the other side ? And the Chauvet control unit, according to their own website, is a two channel unit rated at 5a / 1Kw per channel. That's one cp62 per channel. Hang on a bit, I'm just opening a can of worms.

Are you sure they are fitted with Edison? That suggests they are American (110v) but CP62 is 240v. All you need to check is the actual lamp in the par cans. It should be printed somewhere on the back of the reflector. Assuming they are 1000W, 240v there is no reason why you can't chop the plugs off and fit normal UK 13A if you want them to be on full. At 1000W they will need approximately 5A each. That means you can connect up to two from a single UK outlet.

For dimming something like two of these will allow you to control them in two pairs. You will need to change the plug to a UK 13A and also make a Shuko plug to 13A socket (or whatever connector you fit to the pars).

Hi,

Yeah everything I wrote is correct & the box describes the connectors as Edison plugs. We actually bought the whole thing together not individually so does that mean that we would never have been able to use the unit for the 4 lights at once?

funnily enough we can get 2 (I from each channel) to stay solid but we thought it was the unit being timer etc rather than a power issue.

They are 1000w 240v & think you're probably right, the best thing would be to chop them. We had thought about doing that but weren't sure how safe it would be or if we would need some sort of controller.

My partner's 1 of these people who sees a picture of what he's looking for & orders it without reading the spec!

Thank you all for your help......I better go get the cable strippers & screwdrivers out!

Archived