recomendation for a budget router

S&L

a colleague of mine asked this question but I don't work with routers enough to know what's good and what's tat so I said I would ask.

He is looking for a budget (sub £100) router that he can connect to his qu16 and operate via ipad - primarily while on stage but also occasionally when doing simple front of house jobs. apparently the one he has at the moment drops signal while 8ft away.

Comments and suggestions welcome. I know its a topic that is comign up with regularity and I will be going down this route at some point toward the end of this year myself (x32 remote operation) so comments generally about routers would be welcome as well as suggestions for those that have a good reliable signal and play well with ipad and qu16

thanks mark - I had seen this recommend for someone on an x32 facebook page but always find the advice on here of a more professional standard. I shall pass that along.

Definitely an Airport Express, I use one with my Mackie DL1608 and it behaves faultlessly. If you're using an iPad use an Apple router, you've spent nearly £1800 on the desk and iPad, the extra £80 for the right router is unlikely to break the bank.

Bought this last week thinking it would be rubbish as its so cheap and fits in the palm of your hand, but it it really good used it on a show and got about 100 to 200 meters before it starting to drop out.

http://www.tp-link.com/no/products/details/?categoryid=&model=TL-WR702N

Its also only about £12 ....

If you're using an iPad use an Apple router, you've spent nearly £1800 on the desk and iPad.

I'm curious have you any evidence that an iPad works better with an apple router than any other?

Personally I'd rather an AP that you can put an external antenna on. Whilst I've never used an airport I can't imagine that apple have broken the habit of a lifetime and given you all the configuration options that you can get on something running ddwrt etc.

If you're using an iPad use an Apple router, you've spent nearly £1800 on the desk and iPad.

I'm curious have you any evidence that an iPad works better with an apple router than any other?

An apple router is no more compatable with an iPad than any other router that uses the same wireless standards, you just get some perks. For example, I'm pretty sure there's an airport app that allows you to configure the router via a more optimised GUI and my personal favorite is mentioned above that it has a 3.5mm jack socket on the back and works as an air play receiver. This gives you a really easy way to stream music from the iPad into your rig.

An apple router is no more compatable with an iPad than any other router that uses the same wireless standards, you just get some perks. For example, I'm pretty sure there's an airport app that allows you to configure the router via a more optimised GUI and my personal favorite is mentioned above that it has a 3.5mm jack socket on the back and works as an air play receiver. This gives you a really easy way to stream music from the iPad into your rig.

Yes, that's my feeling too but, while another router may work fine, I've read enough horror stories on the DL1608 forums about wi-fi issues to feel that Apple to Apple is going to be the most trouble free solution in terms of being the most robust and idiot proof. I agree about preferring external antenna but my AE works happily out to 40-50 metres, I haven't tried it at greater distances, which is further than I'm ever likely to need. The app is great for configuring the router too.

Archived