A Bleeding Nose?

How would you make a nose spontaneously bleed onstage?

For my college show, as ASM, I had to make an actor's nose bleed on stage. He is not hit or anything, it just has to start to bleed, apparently from the use of cocaine. Also, it's another character that actually points out that it's bleeding, so he (nose bleed guy) can't acknowledge the bleeding until he's been told about it. I've come up with an idea now, it's not the best but it works and our last show is on Monday.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any ideas? Then I may reveal what I actually did!

If it's just the visual effect of blood below a nostril then the temptation would be to use the magic of theatre and simply have the actor wipe the blood there themselves from a surreptitiously dipped finger tip (hidden lipstick on prop?), and when it's pointed out he touches the area again and then reveals the already stained fingertip.

does it have to start at a "random" point, and signify the over use of coke?

it would be easier to make the blood appear after taking a "line" as the surface used could conceal some fake blood.

of course, you may not want to physically show the use of "drugs".

Archived