Spotting issues as a member of the public, how to proceed

JSalisbury

I wouldn't

Firstly it's an incredibly minor "problem" that's barely a problem (see ad-infinitum discussions about actual "need" for safety's on lanterns)

Secondly the venue LD is unlikely to have been actively involved in the design/install of a visiting show's rig

Thirdly go as a punter and enjoy the show like you've paid to do - unless it's a major fault that presents an immediate risk to life (sparks coming out of a hoist, a fire smouldering in a hidden corner, a suspicious package) you're not going to achieve anything helpful to anyone and actually are more likely to come across as an interfering busybody.

As Tom has said, safety bonds on lanterns is one of those things that many people seem to think is a massive show-threatening problem that actually can reasonably come down to risk assessment and in many cases be avoided altogether.

Nitpicking members of the public (particularly in cases where they don't know as much as they think they do) are simply seen as a nuisance by venue staff, and they will probably agree with everything you say and promise to "get one of the technicians straight on it" and then forget about your encounter within 10 minutes of you walking away.

If you see a serious and immediate danger then you have every right (morally, apart from anything) to raise a hand. But safeties on lanterns... really? Normal people sit in their seat and watch the show, rather than performing visual inspections on the rigging from 50 feet away.

You'd hate my venue - we have quite a few in almost semi-permanent positions that don't have any on them - they've been there for probably 30 years without a change in focus, and I suspect that we'd never undo the bolts to remove them anyway.

Like the other's here, I suspect that at best, you'd get a polite "thanks for bringing it to our attention" to your face, and some less polite comments when you'd gone.

Please don't think we're not taking safety seriously, but as they're firmly a 'good thing to use' rather than a requirement, we don't get too excited.

As others have said it is not a huge problem but well done for spotting it. If you do spot anything else you think needs reporting just do it politely, calmly and non-judgementally and most crew would thank you for your interest.

Most times trying to make some relatively minor problem perfect during an event introduces a far worse hazard. Such as someone climbing in the dark to attach safety chain.

Archived