Audio issue with HDMI - VGA+audio adapter

Mr Steve

This one is video related, but the issue is specifically with sound, hence posting here...

We have an AppleTV connected to an A&H desk using an el cheapo HDMI to VGA+audio adapter. The adapter outputs on minijack, and goes in to 2x 6.3 jacks to our desk. On odd occasions when no one is projecting, or using the desk, and with no other inputs connected, there is a very loud full range noise through the PA which lasts maybe 5 seconds, then stops - it's like a burst of interference. This has happened twice in the last week. Is it possible that the cheap adapter is creating or picking up some kind of interference? Would money be better spent on something pricier than a £10 basic HDMI adapter? I'm really not sure what could be causing this!

By full range noise, do you mean like white noise? If so, it wont be interference, it'll just be that the converters have decided to convert with no input data, so they are converting random ones and zeros. And yes, it could be up to 0dbFS, flat out, so most unpleasant, and possibly harmful.

Sorry, this doesn't help make the problem go away, but explains what and why...

I was trying to describe that it's not the kind of interference you'd get from your FM radio when tuning it, but a more full bodied racket!

We are going to try taking the optical out from the AppleTV, and put that through the desk instead of using the combined adapter, to see if that changes things. The noise occurs infrequently, and the equipment is used daily without me present, so it's hard to troubleshoot quickly.

Archived