Showtec Commander master fader issue

Marccc68

Hi!

I'm farely new to the LED lighting. I own a small theatre in Holland and recently bought me a set of 8 x 56 LED pars and a Showtech Commander. I have figured out how the dip switches work etc and was able to program some scenes which is working perfectly.

I expected the master fader to function over all functions of the Commander, so either when using the fixtures standalone, or when using scenes and chases. The master fader is not working at all! It does not react to anything I do.

Config now:

DMX channel 1-8: fixture 1 red, green, blue, color, strobe, dimmer, master

DMX channel 9-16: fixture 2 red, green, blue, color, strobe, dimmer, master

DMX channel 17-24: fixture 1 red, green, blue, color, strobe, dimmer, master

etc.

I can control until the strobe, but dimmer and master does not have any effect on anything.

Can you please help me?????

Thanks!!!

Marc

Hmmm... The Commander should handle 8 channels (red. green etc.) but the par's can only handle 6?

I have reprogrammed the par's to 6 channels each and assinged the faders: red, green, blue, color, dimmer and master to the channels 1-6 of each fixture. Now the fader are reacting but the dimmer fader triggers the strobe and the master channel triggers sound.... Weird???!!!

Please help me on this one!

The attributes and order is always determined by the fixture. The idea is you adapt a controller to the fixture.

Without knowing exactly what the fixtures are it is not possible to say for certain what the channel assignment should be but it seems clear to me from your description that it must be 1-red, 2-green, 3-blue, 4-shutter and 6-control. 5 is unclear but it appears it is not a dimmer. This is not that unusual. More complex controllers have ways of overcoming this by using a 'virtual' dimmer which works by proportionally adjusting the colour mixing channels.

What is the fixture (manufacturer, model and mode if applicable)? If you look in the fixture manual it should give details of the channel mapping and what each one does.

Okay, the manual states 1-red, 2-green, 3-blue, 4-full color, 5-strobe and speed, 6-modi (whatever that means).

The thing is that the advertise the Commander's features of a dimmer and master fader to control overall intentisy of the light. Obviously the fixtures are not supporting this... ?

So, basically I would need to know how to re-assign channel functions in the Showtec Commander how I want to use it:

1-red, 2-green, 3-blue, 4-full color, 5-dimmer, 6-master

The question is... how??

Does anyone know?

You cannot. As the fixtures don't have a dimmer it won't be possible to use dimmer or master to control the overall intensity of those fixtures using that controller. You would either need fixtures that do have dimmer channels or a controller that supports virtual dimmer.

'Modi' = 'Mode'. On these fixtures that will change the fixtures from manual to stand-alone, usually with a few options. The 'speed' channel will probably be used in conjunction with the stand-alone modes.

Yeah, I read that one. It helped me a bit further, but it seems I need to know how to reprogram the channel faders to the function I want (5=dimmer and 6= master)

Have a look at this Blue Room post from December that has more details on Led Commanders and Par56 LED addressing.

Okay, clear, thanks!

I guess I will go back to the shop that sold me these as this is a configuartion (a set) that does not do what they state it should do...

Thanks guys! Appreciate it!

You cannot. As the fixtures don't have a dimmer it won't be possible to use dimmer or master to control the overall intensity of those fixtures using that controller. You would either need fixtures that do have dimmer channels or a controller that supports virtual dimmer.

'Modi' = 'Mode'. On these fixtures that will change the fixtures from manual to stand-alone, usually with a few options. The 'speed' channel will probably be used in conjunction with the stand-alone modes.

Archived