MADI over Cat-5 (Soundcraft) tips and tricks

david.elsbury

Hi

Following on from the Dante topic, wondering if someone can advise me on the Soundcraft MADI over Cat-5 cable setup please?

At work we have a couple of Expression 2's with the Mini Stageboxes, and a 100mtr drum of Cat-5 cable with Ethercons. Works, as expected, 100% with the supplied cable drum. I have tried to patch it over the inhouse Cat-5 patching in one of our larger venues, the cable run is as follows:

Stagebox > 5m patch > Wall point to patchbay (approx 50m) > 0,5m patch cable > run to wallpoint by FoH Mix (approx 20m) > 5m patch > console.

I can't get the console to see the stagebox whatever I do, have tried lots of different lines etc. In theory it should be just on or under the 100m/300ft limit...?

I have tried to Google for MADI specs, all I can really find is information that says that MADI is transported over 75R coax or fibre - the Soundcraft implementation is a bit unusual by the looks?

Thoughts and comments appreciated :)

David

At work we have a couple of Expression 2's with the Mini Stageboxes, and a 100mtr drum of Cat-5 cable with Ethercons. Works, as expected, 100% with the supplied cable drum. I have tried to patch it over the inhouse Cat-5 patching in one of our larger venues, the cable run is as follows:

Stagebox > 5m patch > Wall point to patchbay (approx 50m) > 0,5m patch cable > run to wallpoint by FoH Mix (approx 20m) > 5m patch > console.

I can't get the console to see the stagebox whatever I do, have tried lots of different lines etc. In theory it should be just on or under the 100m/300ft limit...?

I don't know about the Soundcraft MADI card, but I assume it is the same interface as the Studer. The Studer MADI over twisted pair card is rated for 75m over CAT5e, or 120m over CAT7 solid core.

Mac

Thanks Mac. Will look into the Studer information.

The cable reel we have, and that Soundcraft supply, is a 100mtr solid core CAT5 cable - Gepco CT504HDX cable - that might be why it works with that, but not a similar length made up of stranded and solid.

Cheers

Is the patchbay causing the issue? I'm thinking is it doing the same thing as a crossover cable so the stagebox Tx is going to desk Tx instead of desk Rx? Had a similiar problem with a Roland M480 not talking to the stagebox - put a crossover patch lead in the chain and all sorted.

The makeup of the cable shouldnt be an issue as we use a Soundcraft Si Compact 24 with a stagebox with no issues with different types of cable!

• 5 months later...

Just hijacking this old thread.

we have a expression and 2 compacts, and one of the single cat 5 madi cards....

now, multi-track recording with madi, could anyone enlighten me on what I need to record with the madi card?

Cheers, George

• 2 weeks later...
Have a look at the pinout in the manual. You can use a standard Cat5 cable and put BNC connectors on it. Make sure it's a short cable. I haven't tried this myself, but according to the techs at soundcraft. it should work.

Archived