X32 iPad control

asoundguy

Ok, so recently I have been using the X32 a lot for some events in my area. The desk is not mine, I just use it. However recently the owner has purchased the X32 rack and we have just been using this with iPad control (no physical desk). Now personally I prefer to actually have a desk in front of me, but are there any issues that people know of that can't be fixed using the rack and iPad but can by using the desk? Thanks.

No issues, apart from simply not having the big panel with real controls - if you can live with sliding pages it's ok. what isn't ok is that having the batteries go flat can be very awkward. I tried using my iPad live on stage, and it kind of worked, but was just awkward - and if something starts to feedback, getting to the right knob can take a fair while - obviously still seconds, but with the PA screaming, still a long time!

I use a Mackie DL1608 with my own rig, it has only iPad control and I agree with Paul that it takes longer to get to the source of feedback (and indeed, any other functions) this is the same with any digital desk to some degree or another, even the iLive system I use at work has several levels of faders rather than a knob-per-job like analogue. There's always a compromise, iPad control means multiple pages to fit everything in but no snake or outboard rack, analogue means instant access to each function but you need a snake and outboard rack etc. For the kind of gigs I do, now that digital has become affordable, the DL is excellent, the X32 better still (though it's a lot bigger and over twice the price), the iLive better still but at £11,000…..

I hear others reporting issues with console freezes relating to their network - I guess that depends on the router and who else is on it - I haven't worked with an ipad or iphone on the x32 but I have worked the x32 while others have accessed via iphone, ipad etc. and haven't experienced any such problem (I must get the router name when I remember).

I can say that allowing multiple user access isn't always as much fun as you may think. apart from the unnerving feeling of faders moving beneath your hands if you are on a monitor layer accessed by others (a little surreal) if you are trying to work out what a musicians monitor problem is while they are themselves accessing the desk remotely it's harder work than if you had sole control - too many cooks.

I have never had to reboot - but I did lose power on stage early on on NYE (not using x32 and only pre-sound check) and it made me think, what happens if your gear is stowed on stage and you only have wifi access - I should imagine that it would take longer to establish everything running again than if you had a console in front of you.

there is also the issue of sync'ing scenes - see here http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=59930

but I haven't had time to play around with one to verify what was said on the thread (though no reason to doubt it) -and I'm not sure how the ipad mix software differs since I don't use ipads myself.

I hear others reporting issues with console freezes relating to their network - I guess that depends on the router and who else is on it - I haven't worked with an ipad or iphone on the x32 but I have worked the x32 while others have accessed via iphone, ipad etc. and haven't experienced any such problem (I must get the router name when I remember).

I can say that allowing multiple user access isn't always as much fun as you may think. apart from the unnerving feeling of faders moving beneath your hands if you are on a monitor layer accessed by others (a little surreal) if you are trying to work out what a musicians monitor problem is while they are themselves accessing the desk remotely it's harder work than if you had sole control - too many cooks.

I have never had to reboot - but I did lose power on stage early on on NYE (not using x32 and only pre-sound check) and it made me think, what happens if your gear is stowed on stage and you only have wifi access - I should imagine that it would take longer to establish everything running again than if you had a console in front of you.

there is also the issue of sync'ing scenes - see here http://www.blue-room...showtopic=59930

but I haven't had time to play around with one to verify what was said on the thread (though no reason to doubt it) -and I'm not sure how the ipad mix software differs since I don't use ipads myself.

I have not heard of any X32 locking up because of wireless network issues. The remote simply disconnects. Before it does that, it gets kind of choppy (vu meters in specific).

It is my experience that most sound pros are not necessarily network administrators ;) Wireless is a relatively new thing in mixing. If you have an android phone or tablet, there is a free app you can use which shows you the usage of each channel within the 2.4 and 5Ghz spectrum in the area so that you can set your router up to a relatively unused channel within the spectrum.

Most wireless issues are caused by overcrowding a single channel within the spectrum. It isn't hard to avoid if you know the problem.

there is also the issue of sync'ing scenes - see here http://www.blue-room...showtopic=59930

I have not heard of any X32 locking up because of wireless network issues. The remote simply disconnects. Before it does that, it gets kind of choppy (vu meters in specific).

It is my experience that most sound pros are not necessarily network administrators ;) Wireless is a relatively new thing in mixing. If you have an android phone or tablet, there is a free app you can use which shows you the usage of each channel within the 2.4 and 5Ghz spectrum in the area so that you can set your router up to a relatively unused channel within the spectrum.

Most wireless issues are caused by overcrowding a single channel within the spectrum. It isn't hard to avoid if you know the problem.

I should qualify my previous statement - non uk forum/facebook users (only a few I can recall) have reported desks freezing or crashing while accessed by multiple wireless devices. In one case I tried to ascertain more details of what was on the network, the stability of the local power supply and whether they had a ups attached. I didn't get coherent reply. so maybe I should look more sceptically at those few reports.

I haven't seen any sign of this myself and have worked a system with iphone and 2 ipads attached. too many cooks but no network or desk instability. so I will be over here in the corner contemplating why I brought it up in the first place...

Archived