open circuit means it's dead - right?

S&L

I have been going through the store cupboard this week sorting gear to repair and/or sell. at one point we were going through 15" tops at an alarming rate at our rehearsal unit (kids... see posting a while ago).

Anyway, I found a peavey pro 15 top that came in for spares with some other stuff 12 months ago. taking it apart to cannibalise for another, I found that it was shiny and new inside (but it did come to me used and defective). this shiny new 15" driver is open circuit - no continuity.

hand on heart I have only ever had to test diaphragms before but I am assuming the same logic is true - if it has no continuity, it isn't operational? If I am misunderstanding, can someone point me in the right direction?

it's not a big issue since we appear to have a pretty large (and worthless) scrap pile - it will end up in the corner with the others until I can find a use for it.

it's not a big issue since we appear to have a pretty large (and worthless) scrap pile - it will end up in the corner with the others until I can find a use for it.

No such thing as worthless scrap! Donate dead drivers to the local secondary school Physics department with instructions on how to remove the magnets. I doubt that the laws of Physics have changed much in the 50 odd years since I took my A-level.

The only thing you may be able to fix is if a wire has come away at the terminal clip, but that's very unusual.

The magnets on most Peavey speakers come off by just undoing the 3 bolts. Yor dealer will ba able to get you a new basket, probably in a wide variety of size & impedance, which would give you a "new" driver for much less than the cost of a new one. Or if you don't want to do that, then sell the magnet to the dealer. It has greater value as part of a speaker than as just a magnet.

The only thing you may be able to fix is if a wire has come away at the terminal clip, but that's very unusual.

The magnets on most Peavey speakers come off by just undoing the 3 bolts. Yor dealer will ba able to get you a new basket, probably in a wide variety of size & impedance, which would give you a "new" driver for much less than the cost of a new one. Or if you don't want to do that, then sell the magnet to the dealer. It has greater value as part of a speaker than as just a magnet.

thanks mark. the entire box is £150 new, £75 second hand and a new 15" driver would be £75 - since my aim is not to keep it, it's not looking cost effective to repair unless I come across some 2nd hand parts that can be relied on. for now, it goes back into the cupboard.

Archived