Wiring up a PA with 4-pole Speakons?

ItsMyNaturalColour

Hey everyone, just a quick question from a speakon noob.

I want to eliminate some cable runs in my PA. At the moment I have a simple setup, 2 stereo amps (1 for subs and 1 for tops). I’m currently running 4 speakon leads, 2 from each amp into their respective speakers.

Somehow, I believe, I can use 4-core cable and speakon connectors to create 1 cable run to 1 side, and 1 cable run to another. I know I’d have to have a patch panel in my amp rack, patching output 1 from both amps into a single 4 pole socket and the same for output 2 on both amps. My question is, do I need to make a cable that splits 1 x 4 pole connector into 2 x standard 2 pole connectors, 1 for the sub and 1 for the top? Or do I plug the 4 core cable into the bin and then link them? I’m not sure if the wiring inside the bin works out for this kind of thing?

As you can probably tell, I’m just trying to speed up setup time and improve my system, but I’m just confused when it comes to wiring.

I don’t mind wiring this stuff up and making up cables, I just need to knowledge to do so. I’m getting confused with all the different connectors.

Thanks everyone.

If your bins have two sockets it should be easy enough to replace them with 4 pole speakons (if they are not already fitted) wired in parallel.If you wire the patch panel in the rack so the low signal is on 3/4 (and wire the bins the same way) you would just use short 2 pole cables to link to the tops. This would mean the bins won't work if connected from an amp with a standard 2 pole connector BTW but it does mean you can use all standard cables.

If the speakON connectors on the speakers are true 4 pole, then the conversion should be relatively straight forward.

From the amplifier end, you will need to merge the sub and top outputs for each side to a 4 pole speakON connector, such as an NL4MP-ST. It is up to you how you wire the speakON up, but I would imagine that the accepted practice would be:

Sub +: 1+

Sub -: 1-

Top +: 2+

Top -: 2-

From there you can run 4 core cable, with speakON connectors on each end, such as the NL4FX, to each sub. You now have a choice. You could either re-wire the speakON input and link connectors in the sub, you could wire a 'twister' where two core cable is wired using 2+/2- at one end to 1+/1- at the other, or you could re-wire the speakON connector in the top cabinet. Whichever method you choose, you are just trying to form a complete circuit.

You may find that the sub has only been wired using 1+/1- at the input/link connections. You will have to investigate that, either with a multimeter, or by removing the connection plate and eyeballing it.

CPC or RS are a good source of Neutrik connectors, but are by no means the only ones.

All sensible stuff - but I guess you just need to think about compatibility. Will you ever want to use the speakers without subs, direct to an amp? If so, then 1+/1- make sense for the full range, with the subs on the circuit 2. This then means that to use the subs, re-wired to circuit 2, you need a 1 to 2 cable to use an amp direct. Either way, you have to make the choice. If it's your own system, and it always gets used the same way, then it really doesn't matter. My amp rack has subs and then bi-amped output to the tops. The subs are on their own Speakon (I'm not really sure why, but I just cannot bring myself to ever type SpeakON, I don't know why?) - and the bi-amp outputs are on 3 speakons - 1=mid, 2=mid and high, 3=high. The speak on socket wired for 4 core cable has mid on 1+/- and high on 2+/-, but the separate speakons are wired all circuit 1. The only reason being if I use a different crossover memory that isn't band split. It just means I have a bit more variation available.

I'd probably go with doing the swap over in your speakers - if you have 2 connectors side by side have the left one wired 1 - 1 and 2 - 2, and the right one wired 1 - 2, and 2 - 1. This means you could use standard 4 core throughout your rig, one to your subs then a short link from sub to top. (Input on left, output on right). If you wanted to use just the tops then just plug a 4 core direct into the right hand side of your top.

BTW - Common convention from my experience is the lower frequencies go on the lower numbered pins, so subs on pins 1, mid/high on pins 2, but again up to you!

EDIT TO ADD - do the swap in both your subs and tops so that the top only idea works!

What amps are you using? Some amps will output both channels on pins 1+1-2+ and 2- of the first output connector, if this is the case it may make things easier in the wiring.

My personal preference for this would be to use a short pin-swap cable between the tops and subs (a few cm lond with barrels on either end, with some obvious markings on), and leave everything wired to take the 1+1- signal to maximise flexability

Archived