New Years Eve Live TV

wallin6228

Well you have Monday to find the BBC and ask them! HOWEVER also ask them whether the countdown WILL be shown. On millenium eve I was in Greenwich and the countdown timer vanished from the bar's big screen at about 2358. No-one want's their clock showing a different time from the obvious time in the picture. I also remember the 2300 news on a 20th century NYE including the item that Big Ben (OK the clock) had malfunctioned and that they HOPED to have it repaired for the (all important midnight chime.

I have a client who wants to show the bbc countdown live in their event.

We were wondering what TV licence you would have to have or what other licence you would need.

If it is commercial premises, your client needs to hold a TV license for that address. Having a license for their home address does not count.

You can get refunds on a TV license. Say you are only going to use the live TV for New Year's Eve, you would have to buy a full license but can then apply for a refund for the remaining time that you do not require.

If you are doing a one day gig in a field then good luck trying to get clear information from TV Licensing about what you are supposed to do. After many, many emails, the best advice I could get was that the owner of the television receiving equipment on site must hold a TV license. If you are a commercial organisation, the expectation is that your commercial premises address will hold a TV license. Note: This advice was only advice, no-one at TV Licensing ever gave me a conclusive answer.

Cheers,

Peter

I have a client who wants to show the bbc countdown live in their event.

We were wondering what TV licence you would have to have or what other licence you would need.

If it is commercial premises, your client needs to hold a TV license for that address. Having a license for their home address does not count.

You can get refunds on a TV license. Say you are only going to use the live TV for New Year's Eve, you would have to buy a full license but can then apply for a refund for the remaining time that you do not require.

If you are doing a one day gig in a field then good luck trying to get clear information from TV Licensing about what you are supposed to do. After many, many emails, the best advice I could get was that the owner of the television receiving equipment on site must hold a TV license. If you are a commercial organisation, the expectation is that your commercial premises address will hold a TV license. Note: This advice was only advice, no-one at TV Licensing ever gave me a conclusive answer.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks I'll try to contact them tomorrow.

Well you have Monday to find the BBC and ask them! HOWEVER also ask them whether the countdown WILL be shown. On millenium eve I was in Greenwich and the countdown timer vanished from the bar's big screen at about 2358. No-one want's their clock showing a different time from the obvious time in the picture. I also remember the 2300 news on a 20th century NYE including the item that Big Ben (OK the clock) had malfunctioned and that they HOPED to have it repaired for the (all important midnight chime.

It might also be worth remembering that if you are receiving your transmission via Sky or Freesat, you will be a few seconds behind the actual countdown

It might also be worth remembering that if you are receiving your transmission via Sky or Freesat, you will be a few seconds behind the actual countdown

How close is Freeview?

I notice the "pips" on DAB radio transmissions are fractionally behind analogue sets (one of each kind of receiver at opposite ends of my house makes for an interesting effect when you stand midway between) It's nowhere near "a few seconds" but enough to be clearly noticeable.

The pips from Freeview will be a couple of seconds behind pips taken from an analogue radio source. It varies slightly between different receiver boxes. Pips from satellite suffer similar delays.

It's not the end of the world, just make sure you only have one source for your countdown and no-one will be any the wiser.

A few years ago I was sat in the cab of a truck outside a venue in the centre of Manchester during the arrival of the New Year. I could hear and see countdowns and celebratory fireworks from loads of different clubs and parties. I reckon there was a window of about 10 minutes of the new year arriving. Perhaps time passes slower in some parts of Manchester.

Cheers,

Peter

Archived