Line 6 XD-V75HH

BigYinUK

As title, anyone have any direct experience of Line 6's Xd-V75 product?

In addition to buying a few more wired mics, we're thinking about buying the XD-V75HH as our wireless unit as I'm attracted by the 10 mic emulations.

Any comments would be welcome.

Regards

We use Line 6 wireless mics (the PA hire company I do a fair bit of work for) and I'm not over keen, if they were mine I think I'd probably like them better as I'd have time to set them up to suit me and my bandmates voices but there's rarely time to do that on hire gigs. I suppose I should bring one home and spend some time learning their quirks but there's always something more important to do. If it's for your own use then I'd say give them a try, if it's for hire stock then something with fewer options may just be more useful unless you can make the time to learn the ins and outs of the Line 6.

As title, anyone have any direct experience of Line 6's Xd-V75 product?

In addition to buying a few more wired mics, we're thinking about buying the XD-V75HH as our wireless unit as I'm attracted by the 10 mic emulations.

Any comments would be welcome.

Regards

a solo singer I know came to me with one of these and asked me to help her and crew/partner to set it up. It sounded decent for the money but I was only trying through a rehearsal unit PA (cheap pa gear). I didn't have the chance to go through the different mic selections with an A/B against other mics - we settled on one of the sennheiser mimics as being best suited for her voice and apart from that and getting the receiver and transmitter to handshake I didn't really get time for much else, apart from talking to them about battery change discipline. That was about 14 months ago. she works almost always solo, almost always with this set up, loves it and uses it typically for 4 or 5 gigs per week (a professional artist) in everything from small hotels to medium sized cabaret theatres up and down the fylde coast mainly as well as further afield - even on river cruses! the build quality seemed OK and it's holding up like new.

they swear by it and I guess what I am saying is nothing to report is something to report - if you see what I mean - BUT I do regularly see a singer who brings his sennheiser wireless set up with him (EW135 I think?). its obviously very subjective to listen to two different mics through two different sets of gear (PRX speakers and x32 desk for the sennheiser) - but my impression is that the senn has far more detail and clarity by a mile.

if I wanted to choose I wouldn't buy the line6 without putting it up against the senn gear in n A/B comparision.

If you asked me to go out on tour with you tomorrow and to pick a wireless mic that would do the job, I would pick the right senn mic capsule for the capture pattern needed and go with that.

I've had some 70s for a couple of years now. They're great from the technical performance, and they sound nice. The mic emulations at first are interesting to fiddle with, and they do indeed sound like the mics they claim to model - however, the limiting feature is that the capsule remains the same. So the tricks where you switch a cardioid and a hyper-cardioid around and change the monitor positions to sort out the rear lobes doesn't work - because the pick up pattern remains the same. Audix and Shures, for example sound different as the talent moves away from the microphones, because of the capsule design. The Line 6 doesn't - the tone changes, but the drop off, and change in timbre can't be modelled.

Would I buy more? I have 6, and if I needed some more, I think I probably would. I don't think they're as tough as the Sennheisers I also have, and the handhelds can be destroyed with user heavy handedness. Plastic parts v metal ones really. Receiver wise, I like the interlocking and aerial loop-throughs a lot!

They're reliable and good value, and avoid the usual co-channel issues with busy venues. They're now part of Yamaha - so time will tell on if this is good, or bad.

Archived