Using control / logic ports of Soundweb 9088

djmatthill

Hello

Iv been programming the odd soundweb 9088 for a few years now but have never had the need to use the Logic / Control ports.

I need to add a 4 source selector switch (bss 9012) to a design and also set up a simple fire alarm mute.

I have opened the Logic port panel but cant work out how to associate the 4 input source selector in the design to a logic input ?

Also which processing object would I use for the Fire alarm mute and how would I associate it with a logic port ??

Any help or assistance would be appreciated please.

Matt

I am assuming that you are using Soundweb Designer...?

To get the picture of the control port sockets up you have to right click the 9088 in the map window and select control ports.

Then double click the source selector, and its control window will pop up showing the two labels "Source Select" and "4 input" together with the drop down which allows you to select an input.

Right click this window and select Design mode.

Now drag the drop-down from there into the bottom part of the control ports window and drop it there. Next drag the newly dropped drop down window up onto the control pin which you want to use to control it. Another window will open asking whether you want to use an analog input or buttons. Select analog input and I think that's it. It's all there in the help if you look for Configuring Control Inputs in Designer.

It's been a while and I found it really difficult to get my head around it the first few times I used it.

Good luck

Dave

E2A Fire alarm mute would be a simple gain block. Follow the same procedure as before but this time drag the mute button onto the appropriate control input. Also note that the drag and drop is a two stage process - you have to drag the button into the bottom half of the control ports window, drop it there and then pick it up again to drag it onto a control pin

Cheers Dave ..

yes I`m using Soundweb Designer , on a Windows 7 PC so the HELP files won`t work for some reason ???

I`ll try your suggestions.. I assume I need to drag both devices on to two control ports for positive and negative do I ?

Is there a + / - or does anyway round work ?

Matt

You'll find the pinouts for the panel in the install guide  here. Just connect up the three wires (select switch, level pot and common) as shown and configure both of the inputs as analogue. They work by having a fixed resistor to +5v inside the 9088 and the panel pulls this down to a level determined by either the pot or the select switch. The 9088 decodes this voltage and uses it to control whatever circuit element you have assigned it to.

For your fire alarm mute you should have what are called "dry" or "voltage free" contacts coming from the panel. Connect one contact to common and the other to a control input. Assign the mute control in the gain block to this contact.

You will be asked whether you want to use direct, inverted direct or toggle action. You will want one of the direct action settings but which one will depend on whether the fire alarm contacts are normally open or normally closed.

By the way, I'm using Win7/64 with Soundweb Designer 1.50 build 68 and the help files work OK for me. Maybe try downloading it again???

Dave<br><br>Edit loads of times to try to get the link to work - aww I give up. Just Goole bss 9012 and you'll find it on the bss web site!<br><br>

Thanks Dave your help has be so useful :)

Am I right in thinking that for the Soundweb to control the Volume Pot and Input selector on the 9012 that I need to drag both an Input Selector and Single Channel Gain (2 seperate objects) in to the Control Port window - is this the right way to do it ?

Also - Iv fixed the help files not working in Win 7 , I had to download a MS patch to allow X86 Win Help to work.

Am I right in thinking that for the Soundweb to control the Volume Pot and Input selector on the 9012 that I need to drag both an Input Selector and Single Channel Gain (2 seperate objects) in to the Control Port window - is this the right way to do it ?

Also - Iv fixed the help files not working in Win 7 , I had to download a MS patch to allow X86 Win Help to work.

No problem. Of course, what you mean is the other way round - the volume pot and input selector control the Soundweb http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif.

The steps are

1) create your required map/circuit diagram in the main soundweb device but include a gain block at the point where you want to control the gain eg just before the main outputs from the device. Also include your input selector and wire it as required.

2) reduce the size of the "circuit diagram" window so that you can see the "Map" window too - that's the window which just shows the 9088 on its own looking a bit like a chip. Right click on the "chip" and select "Control ports" - this will open up another window with a picture which looks like the back panel. So you now have three windows visible.

3) double click the input selector and a fourth window will open showing some labels (Source select, 4 input, input) and a drop down box which will probably be showing "none". Right click in this window and select "Design". This unlocks all the labels and the drop down box. Drag the drop down into the LOWER half of the control ports window and drop it there.

4) Now double click the gain block so that it opens up showing a fader, a mute button a pol(arity) button and some other bits. Right click this window and select Design. Drag the fader from here into the bottom half of the control ports window and drop it there. If this gain block is in the right place for your fire alarm mute, drag the mute button from here into the bottom of the control ports window as well.

5) Lets assume that you are going to wire up the 9012 exactly as on the installation sheet on the BSS website (control port 1 is input select, control port 2 is level). Drag the drop down box from the bottom half of the control ports window upwards onto pin 1. When you drop it there you will get a question with the responses "Analog Input" or "Buttons". Click "Analog" and then put 5pence in the pedant box for using an American spelling.

6) Drag the fader from the bottom half of the control ports window upwards onto pin 2. When you drop it you'll get another question - click Analog Input again.

That's it! Download into the 9088 and it should do what you want.

To add the fire alarm mute you would drag the mute button from the bottom of the control ports window onto one of the spare input pins (eg pin 8). This time you'll get a question with "Direct action", "Inverted direct action" and "Toggle" as responses. You will need to select Direct action" or "Inverted direct action" and connect your fire alarm relay contacts between common and pin 8. When the alarm contacts are closed it will operate the mute button in the gain block and when the alarm contacts are open it will release it. You might find you have to use Inverted direct action if the logic of your fire alarm system is inverted.

Of course, the fire alarm function may be more complicated involving not just a mute but a priority fade up of a general announcements input which bypasses the mute. That's where it gets fun with these devices!

Hope that helps. I have done a very simple config using just the above elements so if you want a copy of it drop me a pm.

Dave

No problem. Of course, what you mean is the other way round - the volume pot and input selector control the Soundweb http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif.

The steps are

1) create your required map/circuit diagram in the main soundweb device but include a gain block at the point where you want to control the gain eg just before the main outputs from the device. Also include your input selector and wire it as required.

2) reduce the size of the "circuit diagram" window so that you can see the "Map" window too - that's the window which just shows the 9088 on its own looking a bit like a chip. Right click on the "chip" and select "Control ports" - this will open up another window with a picture which looks like the back panel. So you now have three windows visible.

3) double click the input selector and a fourth window will open showing some labels (Source select, 4 input, input) and a drop down box which will probably be showing "none". Right click in this window and select "Design". This unlocks all the labels and the drop down box. Drag the drop down into the LOWER half of the control ports window and drop it there.

4) Now double click the gain block so that it opens up showing a fader, a mute button a pol(arity) button and some other bits. Right click this window and select Design. Drag the fader from here into the bottom half of the control ports window and drop it there. If this gain block is in the right place for your fire alarm mute, drag the mute button from here into the bottom of the control ports window as well.

5) Lets assume that you are going to wire up the 9012 exactly as on the installation sheet on the BSS website (control port 1 is input select, control port 2 is level). Drag the drop down box from the bottom half of the control ports window upwards onto pin 1. When you drop it there you will get a question with the responses "Analog Input" or "Buttons". Click "Analog" and then put 5pence in the pedant box for using an American spelling.

6) Drag the fader from the bottom half of the control ports window upwards onto pin 2. When you drop it you'll get another question - click Analog Input again.

That's it! Download into the 9088 and it should do what you want.

To add the fire alarm mute you would drag the mute button from the bottom of the control ports window onto one of the spare input pins (eg pin 8). This time you'll get a question with "Direct action", "Inverted direct action" and "Toggle" as responses. You will need to select Direct action" or "Inverted direct action" and connect your fire alarm relay contacts between common and pin 8. When the alarm contacts are closed it will operate the mute button in the gain block and when the alarm contacts are open it will release it. You might find you have to use Inverted direct action if the logic of your fire alarm system is inverted.

Of course, the fire alarm function may be more complicated involving not just a mute but a priority fade up of a general announcements input which bypasses the mute. That's where it gets fun with these devices!

Hope that helps. I have done a very simple config using just the above elements so if you want a copy of it drop me a pm.

Dave

Again Thank You Dave - So looking at it you can only use the source selector with single channel Mono inputs ?

Matt

Again Thank You Dave - So looking at it you can only use the source selector with single channel Mono inputs ?

Matt

All of the inputs and outputs are independent therefore essentially mono. If you want to do stereo then you need to put in two source selectors, one would take eg inputs 1, 3, 5, and 7 and output to a signal for the left channel. the other will take inputs 2, 4, 6 and 8 and produce a signal for the right channel. Now what you need to be able to do is control both of these from one control input. First you open them so that you can drag BOTH of the drop down boxes into the bottom of the control ports window. Then you drag one of them up onto the control pin as before. Now click on one of them (in the bottom half of the control port window) and Shift+Click on the other one so that they are both selected. Then Right Click on one of them and select "Link". Now they will both work together - if you select a channel on one of them the same channel will be selected on the other. By the way, when you link two controls in this way an extra button appears in the control ports window which is a link button - if it is on (red) then the channels are linked, if you click it off then they become unlinked.

For a stereo fire alarm mute you could either use two separate gain blocks and link them in the same way or, more simply, you could use a two channel gain block. This has a master fader and mute which will (obviously?) control both channels at once.

Dave

Archived