HK Audio Lucas Nano System

Bobbsy

Does anyone on the BR have experience with the HK Audio Lucas "Nano" system?

For reasons too long to go into, at the end of January I may be in the market for a system to use in a small school hall (200 people max at a stretch but more normally around 100). I'm looking for basic reinforcement, not rock show levels, on a mix of pre recorded music and speech.

I've used the basic LUCAS stuff before and was happy with the sound--but haven't heard the Nano. However, for personal reasons the small size and light weight has major advantages for me. An actual audition might be possible nearer the time but I won't be down in the bright lights of Brisbane for a bit.

As an aside, some of the other brands I might normally consider seem to be silly money here (any Brisbane Australians on the board who can suggest good brokers for second hand kit?) but I can get a reasonable deal on the Nano stuff too.

However, they look too small to me!

Have you considered the HK Elements range? We've got a reasonably large system covering our 780 seat auditorium with balcony although Element systems will scale down to smaller rooms. As ours is a permanent install portability isn't important to us, but the small size of the tops makes them visually unobtrusive.

Have you considered the HK Elements range? We've got a reasonably large system covering our 780 seat auditorium with balcony although Element systems will scale down to smaller rooms. As ours is a permanent install portability isn't important to us, but the small size of the tops makes them visually unobtrusive.

Yeah, and it looked good...until I got to the price.

Down here at least the "Band 1 System" (their smallest) is something like five and a half times the price of the basic LUCAS Nano. If I do this, it's by way of a favour rather than a money making enterprise and there's no way a poor pensioner like me (SX Cue 1 Violins) can justify $5,500 rather than the $1,000 the Nano would cost!

I have no direct experience with the nano but I happened to come across this review this evening while looking for something else:

http://www.soundonso...-audio-nano.htm

it seems to me that they are an alternative to the bose L1 system, which is great for solos and duos in crowds of 50 or so - over larger areas and with more complex requirements it's left wanting. I know of one acoustic artist that uses the bose L1 set up and regularly takes it to corfu for the summer and brings it home to the north of england for the winter season. it survives and keeps working and is JUST capable of playing background music to 50 people too.

I know a jazz outfit that uses two of them for keys and vocals with the same crowd size.

I wouldn't use it for anything more complex than that or for larger areas than a bar with 50 people - by the same token, without experience of the nano I would probably apply the same assumptions. given a choice between the two systems I would pick the bose unless I could A/B test them (a well proven track record in this area - only the column clip point being a vulnerable point). there are plenty of other manufacturers treading this path now so some of the competitor systems like the LD may also be of interest. (no idea of quality though)

both systems (certainly the bose) work by cheating - giving a good middle bass response from the sub and a good clear top end response from the pole/satellite. missing the middle almost entirely - which suits most small gigs with acoustic artists and like cheap hifi and pc speakers delivers the illusion of a full sound but is a bit on the bright side, quite detailed but lacking in roundness.

If two speaker poles aren't a problem then my gut would be that the samson expedition or yamaha stagepass would give you better coverage and more versatility, for the same or less money than either the HK or the bose.

that's as far as my thinking takes me.

I have no direct experience with the nano but I happened to come across this review this evening while looking for something else:

http://www.soundonso...-audio-nano.htm

it seems to me that they are an alternative to the bose L1 system, which is great for solos and duos in crowds of 50 or so - over larger areas and with more complex requirements it's left wanting. I know of one acoustic artist that uses the bose L1 set up and regularly takes it to corfu for the summer and brings it home to the north of england for the winter season. it survives and keeps working and is JUST capable of playing background music to 50 people too.

I know a jazz outfit that uses two of them for keys and vocals with the same crowd size.

I wouldn't use it for anything more complex than that or for larger areas than a bar with 50 people - by the same token, without experience of the nano I would probably apply the same assumptions. given a choice between the two systems I would pick the bose unless I could A/B test them (a well proven track record in this area - only the column clip point being a vulnerable point). there are plenty of other manufacturers treading this path now so some of the competitor systems like the LD may also be of interest. (no idea of quality though)

both systems (certainly the bose) work by cheating - giving a good middle bass response from the sub and a good clear top end response from the pole/satellite. missing the middle almost entirely - which suits most small gigs with acoustic artists and like cheap hifi and pc speakers delivers the illusion of a full sound but is a bit on the bright side, quite detailed but lacking in roundness.

If two speaker poles aren't a problem then my gut would be that the samson expedition or yamaha stagepass would give you better coverage and more versatility, for the same or less money than either the HK or the bose.

that's as far as my thinking takes me.

Likewise I have no experience of the HK Nano system but have used the Bose L1 Compact and would draw the same conclusions as S&L. In fact the Bose L1 Compact was the best/most natural sounding vocal PA I've ever heard for a solo singer/guitarist. But I wouldn't want to rely on it in anything larger than a small bar. My experience of these compact PAs is not extensive but I'd suggest a pair of Yamaha DXR10s or Alto Truesonic TS110As would be a much better investment. The DXRs are loud, good sounding and reasonably priced, the Truesonics less loud and not as good sounding but remarkably good for the price (I don't know what they will cost in Oz but in the UK the L1 Compact costs £899 and the Yamaha and Alto £450 and £220 a box respectively).

Forgive me, but Bob's first line said

The last tow posts start by saying the have no experience of it.

I know the info is on similar things, but usually, when somebody asks a specific question on a product, they've already looked at the alternatives or maybe already nearly made their mind up, and just need info that helps.

Bob even mentions the price of other brands.

Always best to read the question before 'helping', because I doubt very much Bob's much further forward.

I've not heard the Nano Bob, so I can't help.

1388357350[/url]' post='489330']

Forgive me, but Bob's first line said

The last tow posts start by saying the have no experience of it.

I know the info is on similar things, but usually, when somebody asks a specific question on a product, they've already looked at the alternatives or maybe already nearly made their mind up, and just need info that helps.

Bob even mentions the price of other brands.

Always best to read the question before 'helping', because I doubt very much Bob's much further forward.

I've not heard the Nano Bob, so I can't help.

Good point Paul, but Bob ended his first post with the obersvaton that he felt the Nano looked too small. Both S&L and I suggested possible alternatives in a similar price bracket which may do the job better.

...to be honest my main point was supposed to be the link to the review. the rest was the inner ramblings of my mind...I just need to learn to sit on my hands more.

Actually, the Bose L1 might be of interest but, around here at least, it's again more expensive than the Nano...$1500 vs $1000 (and a special order rather than stocked so I can't pre-Audition).

I guess my best bet is to ask for a Nano demo next time I have a few spare hours down in Brisbane.

Aus prices and pricing are silly.

Archived