LEDJ Intense 19T3 Slim Par

hollowsphereaudiovisual

Don't know if any of you have clocked these on the market

http://prolight.co.uk/PRO/item.php?id=509866 The new LEDJ 19T3 Slim Pars

We installed a few in a club called KRAAK in the Northern Quarter in Manchester yesterday, we found it a really cost effective way to provide the venue with pseudo pixel mapping type effects for the price of a budget high powered par. Convection cooled so no fans to worry about, they also do a cool/ warm white and RGB amber version.

Check them out :) We think they're ace..

http://prolight.co.uk/images/media/LEDJ255/LEDJ255-wf0.JPG

These, along with most budget LED pars, dim very poorly at the low end. Great for DJ/Club use but pretty useless for theatre.

Showtec almost had it right with the Compact Par Tri but then they replaced it with the cheaper "MkII" which is supposedly 'improved', but the dimming is awful.

Chauvet's Slim Par Pro is the same as the previous Showtec Compact Par Tri and still dims well. As a rule I've found if they advertise 'variable dimming curves' then at one of them is decent, or it at least smooths off the bottom end.

(Full Disclosure - I am associated with a company that sells all of the above mentioned products, however, the above is my personal opinion)

The trouble is, we're pretty much uninterested in the club style applications, and only kind of grab their kit when it does what we want, which is a nice dim out. Over the years LED has been sweeping in, it's that complaint over and over again. Some really great products, that are spoiled for us by the bottom end. Even for bands, it looks horrible when the great blue they give out slams in, or out. It's pretty common for bands to want blue walking on light, and having no fade in at the bottom looks horrible!

We were shown the Intense and the other fixtures from the range a couple of weeks ago and they're impressive - especially the RGBAW one. I reckon it's probably the same sort of beam as a Minuette Fresnel on half flood and 2/3rds the brightness AND there's no fan iside.

Dimming might be steppy at the bottom end, this is apparently a side effect of driving the LED's fast enough to be flicker free for video but in a small drama studio or dance studio then I doubt many folk will worry.

The trouble is, we're pretty much uninterested in the club style applications, and only kind of grab their kit when it does what we want, which is a nice dim out. Over the years LED has been sweeping in, it's that complaint over and over again. Some really great products, that are spoiled for us by the bottom end. Even for bands, it looks horrible when the great blue they give out slams in, or out. It's pretty common for bands to want blue walking on light, and having no fade in at the bottom looks horrible!

Paul, I believe this forum is meant to embrace the entertainment industry which includes club applications. There is room for all types of gear on this forum from high end to budget. Budget fittings do have their weaknesses and there place and after all not all clubs and venues can afford high end gear.

Paul, I believe this forum is meant to embrace the entertainment industry which includes club applications. There is room for all types of gear on this forum from high end to budget. Budget fittings do have their weaknesses and there place and after all not all clubs and venues can afford high end gear.

In fairness, your 36 posts vs Paul's 11,500 ish posts, and the fact that Paul was one of the founding members, might suggest he is quite familiar with what this forum 'does'? It's always been a primarially theatre forum, hence the slogan "Bringing Backstage Online".

:)

David

PS:

Is this a thinly veiled advertisement? :unsure:

In general the forum firmly skirts around anything that could be tagged as nightclub, disco, or similar areas. We do, however talk about 'their' kit when it can cross over into ours, like this product really. However - there are much better forums for the DJs and club people who have quite often very different needs and interests than us. We really do focus on backstage and events as our core areas. Posts about DJ equipment - both sound and lighting rarely survive unless there's a link to what we do - and 'we' in this context means the forum membership as a whole. History has some quite major fallouts over what we discuss and what we don't - and this is very difficult for new members because it's not written down anywhere. If a discussion drifts into DJ territory, the report button gets hit repeatedly - and the membership tend to lead the direction.

This product could have uses that members would find useful, but nightclub, 'disco' and DJ use have a very limited appeal. Plenty of our members are involved in these areas, but usually can be found discussing it elsewhere, where the membership is biased in that direction, which really isn't the case here.

The forum strap line is Bringing Backstage Online - we broadened it to include events, and other areas, but we don't do DJ topics, unless it's a topic that has considerable width.

This product has many good features, but dimming smoothness, over and over again has been the demand from the membership in general, and products that are not good at dimming rarely get recommendations. This I suspect is a view held by a lot of members. For others it won't matter, and that's why we're discussing this one, rather than the post being removed.

It's worth noting that the rules actually don't allow a business name as a username, but we've been a bit lax on this one for a while when people don't use the forum for promotion. The trouble is, with a business username any recommendations naturally get viewed with suspicion. When you sell a product, it's difficult to convince people pro comments are unbiased. Cynical bunch that we are!

Paul

We recently got some LEDJ 9Q8. link

They have a much better dim out than our older led cans and a remarkably even light. For a school show I'm delighted with them at the price point. They have fans but they're very quiet.

Not selling anything. Just sharing.

Moderation: link fixed

Ok Paul, no problem, I accept your comments regarding the forum. I really don't want to rock the boat here. We just installed a few stage lights for a club and I wanted to share what we thought of them with you.

I think the thing Paul and others are getting at is we wouldn't generally consider them "stage lights" ... It's also worth mentioning (full disclosure and all that) that you sell these products - I've been around the forum a while and am probably overcautious when it comes to this but I am affiliated with a company that sells various products that are discussed here and am always a bit apprehensive about recommending any of them without it coming across as a sales pitch or advert...

Dimming might be steppy at the bottom end, this is apparently a side effect of driving the LED's fast enough to be flicker free for video but in a small drama studio or dance studio then I doubt many folk will worry.

There's plenty of fixtures out there that manage both, the problem is they cost considerably more. I've found a few budget ones that work really well, the problem is they can very between versions and even batches so just because the last one worked really well it doesn't mean if you buy more they'll match - which is rather frustrating :(

Archived