Behringer X control question

DaleBoy74

Hi everyone,

Hope you can help with this one, I've searched but can't seem to find the right answer.

I have the behringer x32 compact mixer and want to use the xcontrol software on a laptop, however, the laptop I'm looking at buying is one that has a removable screen to become a tablet. My question is would I be able to remove the screen, while the keyboard is still connected to the x32, and use it to control the x32 in the same way you can with the iPad app? Also as the laptop is already connected to the x32 would I need an additional router or would the screen remain connected to the keyboard without requiring additional hardware? Many thanks

Hi Josh,

Many thanks for the reply. To the best of my knowledge the tablet part connects to the keyboard/base unit via Bluetooth. I was trying to get an "all in one" solution to running xcontrol and mobile wireless control without having to purchase a separate laptop and iPad, it seems that the iPad route is the most reliable as like I said I have not seen anyone else trying this.

Dale

Tell us the laptop model, then we can actually answer the question. Most of the Asus-transformer type things have all the gubbins in the screen and the keyboard is just a simple add-on device. If the screen removes and becomes a tablet surely this would mean that the main part of the device is in the screen?

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. Yes it's the Asus Transformer Book T100, unfortunately I know very little about networks and wireless connectivity. One of the advisors in PC World suggested this but I don't trust them and thought I would be better asking the experts.

Dale

Hi everyone,

Hope you can help with this one, I've searched but can't seem to find the right answer.

I have the behringer x32 compact mixer and want to use the xcontrol software on a laptop, however, the laptop I'm looking at buying is one that has a removable screen to become a tablet. My question is would I be able to remove the screen, while the keyboard is still connected to the x32, and use it to control the x32 in the same way you can with the iPad app? Also as the laptop is already connected to the x32 would I need an additional router or would the screen remain connected to the keyboard without requiring additional hardware? Many thanks

The X32 can be connected to several devices at once (up to 10).

As long as the router you own is plugged into the X32 ethernet port, you can connect many wireless and wired (to the router) devices. If the screen and keyboard are indeed bluetooth, then these will remain connected. While bluetooth does share the basic 2.4Ghz band that 802.11 uses (exception being 5Ghz band devices), modern bluetooth devices channel hop to avoid issues with 802.11.

Hope that answers your questions.

So on the Asus device in question, it is basically a tablet PC with an add-on keyboard which connects using a dock connector. This means that the keyboard is never connected to the X32, it is the main screen unit which is connected to the X32 and the keyboard is connected to the main screen unit. There is no bluetooth involved in the unit at all.

Therefore what the OP is asking will work fine, the main screen unit will control the X32 using the xcontrol software without the keyboard attached.

However, do bear in mind that using the xcontrol software on a tablet PC is not the same experience as the X32 ipad app. The Ipad app is designed for touch screen operation, the xcontrol software is not and is quite fiddly to operate on a smaller screen.

To answer the Bluetooth question, Bluetooth as used on phones is quite short range (<10m) but it can get problematic if there are lots of people in one area trying to use it. As with all show-critical systems a direct piece of wire is always best if you can manage it.

So on the Asus device in question, it is basically a tablet PC with an add-on keyboard which connects using a dock connector. This means that the keyboard is never connected to the X32, it is the main screen unit which is connected to the X32 and the keyboard is connected to the main screen unit. There is no bluetooth involved in the unit at all.

Therefore what the OP is asking will work fine, the main screen unit will control the X32 using the xcontrol software without the keyboard attached.

However, do bear in mind that using the xcontrol software on a tablet PC is not the same experience as the X32 ipad app. The Ipad app is designed for touch screen operation, the xcontrol software is not and is quite fiddly to operate on a smaller screen.

To answer the Bluetooth question, Bluetooth as used on phones is quite short range (<10m) but it can get problematic if there are lots of people in one area trying to use it. As with all show-critical systems a direct piece of wire is always best if you can manage it.

timsabre is correct.

More specifically, the class of bluetooth devices you are talking about are class 3 devices which can only communicate for about 1 meter. Class 2 devices are good for 10 meters and class 1 are good for 100 meters. Most tablets (nearly all) use a class 2 transmitter but the keyboard and screen are more likely class 3 devices.

I would like to say thanks to all the replies, you have been very helpful.

So just to clarify, would it still work if the tablet was 20 metres away?

Dale

So just to clarify, would it still work if the tablet was 20 metres away?

Thought this was clearly answered above? Bluetooth may, it may not, depends on what other bluetooth devices and other 2.4gHz devices are around at the time. Up to you to try, and see if you are happy with the range, and the risk of losing it at a show-critical moment.

But I thought we'd established that the keyboard is a wired connection to the main part of the tablet/notebook? So any wireless connection is (similar to the above) dependent on equipment and other users. Try it out! :)

Listen folks, it is NOT bluetooth. The connection to the x32 would be normal wifi.

So as long as you remain within the area covered by your wifi, it will work.

Not necessarily.

The 2.4Ghz channels are very clogged these days with every device under the sun. In a busy room with lots of people using wireless, near businesses using wireless, etc, etc, even though your signal strength is outstanding, you may have plenty of disconnects from the X32 simply because the tablet is having an issue getting a word in edge-wise with all the other chatter going on.

The best solution is to use a dual band router having both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The 5Ghz band is pretty clear. When you setup your router, there will be 2 SSID's. One for each band. Connect your tablet or iPad to the 5Ghz SSID and you will avoid the congested 2.4Ghz band traffic.

One last bit of advice. Get your wireless router up in the air if you can. It will have much greater range if you do.

60 meters should be no problem at all with this setup though.

Archived