Hazers and Amps

dekw1

Hi All,

Our PA guy is buying some new gear, MC2 FAA

He says these must not be used in a venue with Haze.

Iv'e told him "no haze no lights"

(sorry Mr Pink Floyd Lighting man at Earls court, you cant use haze here, it says in my owners manual)

What would be the compromise.

Surely modern amplifiers should be built to cope with haze ?

Cheers

Dek.

He doesn't know much about them, does he? All the brands listed are fine with haze. They, like most, have filters and when they get gummed up, you clean or replace.

By the way - I took out the identical post you made in the lighting forum, as most members use the forum by the 'view new content' feature top right, they see all new posts - hence how I spotted the two you made. Paul Mods

You can't blame him, he's probably just dropped a lot of notes on that amp and doesn't want to see it getting full of gunk straight away.

Fact is, all over the world people are running hazers and amps in the same room and it's just one of those things. You can't expect to hire a PA to a venue and insist that they don't use hazers. That's stupid. You're simply in the wrong business.

Whilst Paul's point about cleanable filters is good, the best compromise will be to work with him to try and put the amp somewhere where it is not subject to haze. Is a separate amp room plausible? A lot of venues have amp rooms, it helps keep them cool, away from DJs who want to interfere; and yes it keeps the haze out. Failing that, try to put the amp somewhere in the room where there is identifiably less haze presence. It's a common sense thing really. Be proactive and work with him on it, and he will loosen up.

What kind of haze are you using?

If it's water/glycol then there will be no residue at all. It is a dry haze. You could run forced air cooled amps in the same room for as long as you like and it would have no affect on them.

If it's mineral oil then residue can be an issue over time. But as long as filters are used there should be no problem other than the filters blocking up a bit faster.

If it's water/glycol then there will be no residue at all. It is a dry haze. You could run forced air cooled amps in the same room for as long as you like and it would have no affect on them.

I have to say this does not agree with my experience of many grim nightclubs with the amps behind the bar or wherever they could squeeze them in. You do get residue from glycol haze, but it is not as bad as cracked oil.

It sounds like he's being a bit precious with new gear. You could always say that since you're going to be using haze he can always put the amplifiers outside the hazed area of the venue. He'll soon change his mind.

You do realise that this is a bit like saying you've got a new lighting desk and you don't want it damaged by vibration, so you can't have any bass.

Archived