"Illegal" radio kit vhf?

BigYinUK

173.8 - 175 MHz is the VHF licence exempt band, so it's free and legal (but be careful if yours really does tune to 173.6).

170 - 210 MHz is stated as being available for licencing, but call JFMG / Arquiva for details.

I believe the spectrum immediately above 210MHz was taken away a few years back so that DAB radio could use it.

Simon

Tx.

Thankfully the unit isn't mine (I use a 2.4Ghz Line6 unit), its our bass players old wireless system.

Do we know which frequencies the channel numbers Samson use correspond to?

Also if it did transpire that the channel his unit is set on is in the licence required band, any idea roughly how much would it cost to licence?

Regards

Do we know which frequencies the channel numbers Samson use correspond to?

Best I can find is "173.6 - 216.2 MHz" information about exactly which frequencies each number corresponds to is lacking.

JFMG quote £75 for one year for a shared uncoordinated license, they don't do longer licenses at the moment on the basis the spectrum might go away.

As often seems to be the case, the user manual doesn't state the actual frequency used (other than saying that "there are 5 frequencies across the range").

Furthermore, it does seem to be a factory set frequency.

If you are in the licence free part (and one would hope that a UK sourced unit would have been set to this!) then all's well.

If you are outside this, then JFMG may licence the following specific frequencies on their VHF licence, which costs £75 per year.

175.250 *

175.525 *

176.600 *

edit... beaten to it by faster typing!

Bearing in mind the manual was produced in 1998, the likelihood is that the frequency lists above won't correspond. The VHF frequency list had a big shift, but a very quiet one, I never noticed my old VHF rack in the store contained the wrong channels as it hadn't been used for ages.

I found these frequencies in a document I used in 2004 - two of these channels are not in the list we currently use, and the old kit I have has preset channels, so two of these transmitters can't be used any longer. With 173.8 to 175MHz still available license free, hopefully some of the 5 channels will be in there. Good news. of course, is that the VHF band is pretty quiet now.

According to that Samson document then, Ch 16 corresponds to 173.8 Mhz, which looks to me like that puts it firmly in the licence exempt band, much as you'd expect the unit being a UK version.

Regards and many thanks to all who contributed.

Archived