iem and mics in same rack?

dco_uk

I want to rack some iems and mics in the same rack for ease of transport. Is this ok or will it cause problems?

The rack they will be going in is 16u so could potentially have iems at the top and mics at the bottom, separated by stage boxes and a drawer.

Antenna will all be remote.

Thanks in advance.

Ok if, as in mine, the IEMs are in ch 70, and the radios in 38.

There's no problem with IEMs in the same band being in the same rack, case leakage wise - but aerials are a different matter. Local aerials directly onto the equipment in the rack - either at the rear, or onto a rack panel do cause desense - making the receivers more noisy than they should be. I deliberately moved from ch38 for the IEMs because they did have an impact on the mic pack range. Dead spots appearing and poorer performance being down to the proximity of the aerials.

So same rack is fine - as long as the aerials are well away from each other. I did try the simple solution - remoting the single IEM one, which worked fine, until I increased the number of IEMs, and then remoting multiples got messy. So now using the spare ch70 IEM transmitters with local aerials works fine for me.

I couldn't afford the combiner when I added extra channels, and as I had the ch70 TXs, it didn't really matter - but separation for the in-band system doesn't have to be huge. horizontal and vertical separation between your mics and IEMs isn't that difficult to arrange.

Archived