Electro voice sb122 Help

Alec97

Hi Guys

I had a gig earlier was happily playing along until I played the Harlem shake, towards the end of the song I started to smell something strange in the air it turned out to be my two Sb122's emitting this smell I turned them almost right down in an instant. Now, I believe I was pushing them a bit hard and presumed that the voice coil was overheating. At the end of the gig I cranked them up a bit to see if I had caused them any damage but no they sounded good as ever. I was powering them of a kam kxr 2000 which is rated at 600w rms a side @ 8 ohm and the subs are 400 rms @ 8 ohm. I had the LSM set to 40-100 hz for the subs. Also the clip led's on the amp did not come on at any point during the song. I have also had them out their boxes and pushed the cone in and out to see if there was any scratching but they are both fine.

So my question's are have I done any damage to the woofer/voice coil?

Was it even the woofer making the smell not the crossover?

Do I now have to go a bit lighter on the bass at gigs(are they more delicate now)?

Am I overpowering them?

Any help would be great because I'm scared now to crank them up too much.

cheers:)

Could still be some damage, if it smelled like "Ampere". Maybe the lacquer of the voice coil got burned a little but not completely, so when you turned the sound up again, they sounded OK.

If you move the paper cone by hand, do you hear any scratching sound?

You don't know how much damage was done (if any) unless you do a careful measurement of the voice coil's DC resistance compared to a new one, or have the woofer opened up, which is probably not easy, and have a look.

Norbert

So my question's are have I done any damage to the woofer/voice coil?

Was it even the woofer making the smell not the crossover?

Do I now have to go a bit lighter on the bass at gigs(are they more delicate now)?

Am I overpowering them?

You can't know if it was the x-over or the driver without inspection. As the x-over is the easy one to see, have a look at that. Does it looked like it got hot? No? Then you've cooked your driver. Be under no illusions, you have shortened their remaining life.

Archived