Behringer X32 Routing Question

Bazz339

Hi Folks, excuse me posting here but I am unable to access the appropriate Behringer forum at present.

I am having a look at an X32 using X32 Edit software on my laptop with a view to suggesting it for an installation. Routing from Channel to subgroup, I can only find a page which brings up faders. Is there a method of routing using buttons or tick boxes? i.e. the equivalent of routing buttons on an analogue desk. Or. is there a quick way of taking the appropriate fader to sub group up to unity gain?

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb425/17234/Mixer_zpsfcc65ca5.jpg

I think I have found a solution myself. Click on the Post fader label below the send fader and it toggles to SUB Group/Pre Eq/Post Eq/Pre fader. So guess it is toggle to SUB Group and use the mute switch. Personally I would rather when toggled to sub group the mute button became on on/off button or that the default position of the mute switch was Mute when this option was selected but that's just me.

If by group you mean a DCA then there are two easy ways:

1. on the physical desk, hold down the individual dca button then tap all the channels you want to send to that dca. (see you tube video)

2. on the x-edit software click the individual dca button which will then flash, then click each of the channels you want to send to the dca.

there are lots of youtube videos by a guy called drew brashler, showing tips and tricks like this.

you can follow the same procedure to assign to a bus

You are pretty much there with your findings from setting a mixbus to 'Sub' which then removes one layer of knob twiddling and just routes the channel at unity, IIRC. However, that is assuming you actually want a sub-group, rather than another form of control or routing (like a DCA mentioned above or Pre or Post mixes).

The X32 has 16 internal buses. You can "send" from any channel to any or all of these buses. You can also send to aux outs directly from any channel.

Generally, buses are used to make some kind of mix (other than the main mix, but that is a bus too in a special kind of way).

An example is if you want to have reverb added to your mix. In the EFFECTS section, you assign a bus to the inputs of the effect you wish to use. The output of the effects are sent to the FX return buses which are then mixed into the main bus (you can access the fx returns into the main from the left side buttons to change the layer).

Another example is if you want to make a monitor mix. Pick a bus, for each of your channels, send the amount of signal you want going to that monitor. Then route the buss to a physical output using the routing page."Analog Out" to put your monitor mix on one of the physical outputs on the X32.

If you are trying to group signals together for easier mixing, there are a couple options which are only slightly different.

If all you want to do is control a group together with respect to their level, then DCA's can be used. These "Digitally Controlled Amplifiers" are not buses. They do not have the ability to do any channel equalizing/dynamics, etc that you can do with a real bus. Buses also can be mixed together in matrix mixes while DCA's can't. I use these DCA's for grouping things like my drums, guitars, and vocals into easy to control groups giving me 3 easy sliders to control the overall mix with.

You can accomplish the same thing using subgroups. To use subgroups, you first have to start by going to the setup page "Config". On the far right there is a bus pre-configuration which allows you to specify some of your buses as subgroups (by default you get 8 pre and 8 post fader buses and no subgroups).

Hopefully this makes things more clear and not more confusing.

You can accomplish the same thing using subgroups. To use subgroups, you first have to start by going to the setup page "Config". On the far right there is a bus pre-configuration which allows you to specify some of your buses as subgroups (by default you get 8 pre and 8 post fader buses and no subgroups).

Hopefully this makes things more clear and not more confusing.

You don't have to select one of the pre-configurations from the setup page, as you can change the bus type individually (so you are not tied to the pre-defined configurations mentioned above). Select the bus you want to configure as a sub-group, go to the config screen and then select the type of bus you want. If you want a stereo subgroup pair (odd bus left, even bus right), also select "link" and then you have level and pan controls on the two bus send rotary encoders.

Thanks folks for the input.

Found what I was looking for on the channel Home screen once I had looked at things a bit more and re-configured the busses as I wished.

In this example some are configured as a bus others as aux sends.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb425/17234/x32B_zps471468ed.png

Thanks folks for the input.

Found what I was looking for on the channel Home screen once I had looked at things a bit more and re-configured the busses as I wished.

In this example some are configured as a bus others as aux sends.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb425/17234/x32B_zps471468ed.png

Interesting. How did you do that?

Archived