M5 crash after fireworks display goes wrong - court ruling

stevep

It's galling to think that the HSE, CPS, police, local council, etc. have spent hundreds of thousands (probably millions) of pounds of taxpayers' money on a failed attempt to frame Geoff Counsell as a scapegoat for this terrible incident, ruining his business and his professional reputation in the process. But when common sense prevails and it is determined that the fireworks weren't a contributory factor to the cause of the collision (and that Geoff was in no way negligent in his preparatory work), those who were only too quick to point the finger way back in the beginning (Assistant Chief Constable Anthony Bangham being a prime example here) will now be able to disappear into the background without being held in any way accountable for their part in the whole debacle. I'd like to think I'm wrong about that last bit, and that people will be held to account for wasting millions of pounds and unnecessarily making Mr Counsell's life a misery - but I somehow doubt that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way unsympathetic towards the family and loved ones of those who died in the crash - it was a terrible thing, but all the indications are that it was a result of standards of driving falling below what was required in the conditions prevailing on that stretch of the M5 that night.

One of the most galling things about this nonsensical case is that it has dragged on for so long and in doing so caused the innocent target of the accusations a lot of distress.

When you're driving a vehicle it is your responsibility to pay full attention to the road regardless of what else is happening around you.

Looking at the maps, one would not be supprised if there was not an element of 'rubbernecking' the firework display from the motorway, meaning drivers were not paying full attention to the road. Given the apparent poor driving conditions then it was a recipie for disaster for anyone not concentrating 100% on their driving.

If we were to pamper to the 'easily distracted' we would never hold a firework or outdoor lighting display ever again!

Very unfortunate accident and we must give thought to the poor souls who perished and their families.

Worst of all for the trade it was a contributory factor in one of only 3 insurers in the industry closing their books on firework risk - I can only begin to imagine what the defence bill is, even though it should never have gone to trial. @sleah - accident was 15mins or so after the show had ended from what I read, on a motorway stretch known for holding onto fog because of the nearby river and the slip road just before the accident site enters the motorway on a curve, so quite possible a car entering the road caused the guys already on the road spot the new vehicle, break hard - bang - bang - bang but the guy who caused it could be completely unaware what happened, reads about it the next day and is glad he wasn't involved.

Archived