which amp for sub's

mkfs9

If you mean you have both available and want to choose one for subs then, as you say, give them a listen and decide based on how they sound.

Otherwise use the best quality amp for the tops, the mid range and highs are where you'll notice the difference most and the other one for subs.

Do you have these amps already or are you planning to buy? As Doug says you could use more power (ideally 1600 watts per sub) but, as each will deliver well over 3000 watts into 4 ohms bridged running the subs in mono, connected in parallel for 4 ohms and the amp in bridged mode would give you ample power. My preference would be for the QSC but both were similar in cost when new so there's probably nothing in it when it comes to quality and reliability.

I would be tempted to use the PL236, I know lots of guys over at speakerplans rate them for use on subs.

I would also be tempted to run the subs in 4-ohm bridge mode, so you have the two subs in parallel, as subs will not be very directional to the human ear anyway, and it will give you a substantial amount more power (and therefore headroom) to play with.

I'm fine with the concept that some amps are better than others, but used within their capabilities, the idea of picking one as 'best' seems a bit weird to me. I've never been able to hear things people claim to hear. I can hear distortion, and hear noise - but after spending a few years in a hi-fi shop with an amp and speaker comparator I concluded that the real differences were just 'tone' - so just a personal preference, not a 'real' one. Now, given two amps, I'd use the one that involved least effort connecting up! If, on the other hand, I had two amps, and one I didn't like the sound of very much, I'd use that for the subs, because with what comes out of subs being quite non-musical, any amp that doesn't distort or object to hard use would work for me.

Archived