Loading Ramp

Chris_R

In Church we have a 66cm high stage and currently the only way to get equipment on to the stage is to haul it up some steps. We were looking at getting a loading ramp for visiting groups/bands to get their kit on stage.

What do you think would be a good gradient and where can I get the ramps from?

Thanks,

Well, You shouldn't! The general rule about lifting, is - if something is available that reduces the chance of injury, then it should be used. If the Royal Mail have recently reduced their maximum weight limit down to almost daft levels, then lifting heavy items up to stage level can't in any shape or form be called safe working practice.

From personal experience, get a ramp! once you have it, your life will be infinitely better.

For a 66cm high stage do you really need a ramp? In my old school (which gets hired out for rather large gigs) we regularly lift large PAs onto a stage about twice that hight.

If you choose to regularly lift heavy PA equipment to that kind of height, that's your choice. I hope you have a good chiropracter and decent medical insurance.

Chris didn't ask whether or not he actually needed a ramp - it's clear from his question that they've pretty much decided on buying one to assist with their load-ins. This is the right course of action for their situation, so why are you trying to dissuade him from getting one?

FWIW ... I'm no ramp expert, but most of the major trucking companies seem to favour Ra'alloy ramps, so that must be some sort of recommendation!

Yup, I quite like my back, wheels were invented for a reason!! :D

So far we haven't had a major problem as we haven't really had any major events but we have a few coming up where a ramp would almost definantly be needed (I'd prefere not to be heaving the bass players rig onto stage via the steps!)

Especially as its a church and all techs are volenteers. Which also means that sometimes there aren't many around when you need them!

Give me a ramp any and everyday. Safer, less tiring and I'm sure more efficient.

PM Me your details and I may be able to persuade our Logistics Manager (ooooh that's me!) to sell one of the spare ramps we have. But I can't promise anything.

• 9 months later...
I don't know if you're still trying to spec this ramp, it may be worth having a ramp which could be used by disabled people, my church was finding out about those, and it was suggested to them that it should be a maximum gradient of 1:12. A 66cm step would need a ramp of at least 8m therefore.

Archived