Creating a thick London smog

mikewarner

Hi All,

A year ago or so, I saw an adaption of Pygmalion at the Garrick Theatre. As the show began, the curtains rose quickly and the stage was filled with a thick, but smooth, smog. This haze then flowed into the audience (I could feel it against my face) and cleared the stage and auditorium within a few minutes or so.

So, my question is, Does anyone know how to create a similar effect to the one I have described?

I imagine a hazer was used (as opposed to a fog machine). Can anyone recommend hazers which can create a thick and quick dissipating smog?

Here's a photo to give you an example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LondonSmog.jpg

Many Thanks,

Mike

Most "victorian" theatres use basic physics principles to create ventilation whereby the "old" air leaves the building through the ornate plasterwork dome above the auditorium and sucks in new air from vents around the walls. By closing these secondary vents you create a natural (and surprisingly powerful) movement of air from the stage house in to the auditorium, straight upwards and out, all in a matter of minutes (typically ventilations systems have to change all the air in a room at least 6-10 times per hour) - since theatre curtains are effectively smoke-proof you can fill the stage with smoke, engage the old ventilation systems; use some highschool physics to control how the air moves then just open the curtains and let the magic happen.

Most "victorian" theatres use basic physics principles to create ventilation whereby the "old" air leaves the building through the ornate plasterwork dome above the auditorium and sucks in new air from vents around the walls. By closing these secondary vents you create a natural (and surprisingly powerful) movement of air from the stage house in to the auditorium, straight upwards and out, all in a matter of minutes (typically ventilations systems have to change all the air in a room at least 6-10 times per hour) - since theatre curtains are effectively smoke-proof you can fill the stage with smoke, engage the old ventilation systems; use some highschool physics to control how the air moves then just open the curtains and let the magic happen.

Interesting! But would keeping the hazer switched on for long enough thicken the haze?

This sounds like the effect where they obliterate the stage with fog just before the curtains go up so that it is full of a fog that is not only lifted at the front by the curtain movement to make it appear higher, but then rolls out en-masse into the audience.

(Followed by psychologically induced coughing fits amongst the patrons with attention deficit disorder.)

I think I'd use the term FOG and use one or more disco foggers, ie smoke machine possibly with fan.

Be prepared for all the audience to cough uncontrollably on the sight of the fog.

LOTS depends on the way you light the fog -it's a bit like Gauze it shows up or it is see through according to how you light it.

You probably want a waterbased hazer, which is basically a smoke machine with a fan on the front.

Wouldn't that be a "Fazer"? How thick can the haze from a hazer get?

A cheap'n'chearful disco type hazer is little more than a fogger with a fan in front using haze fluid. You could stick regular fog fluid to get a thicker 'haze'. However, I would be hesitant to experiment with an expensive machine!

You probably want a waterbased hazer, which is basically a smoke machine with a fan on the front.

"Fazer" is a name made up by Antari. All of Jem's hazers work like this but they don't call them fazers.

You can get very dense haze from a water based hazer since it is basically a smoke machine.

Jivemaster is right about lighting it. If you backlight the haze (light towards the audience) it will look a lot more dense than it actually is. If you then turn off the backlight the haze will miraculously become less dense.

"Fazer" is a name made up by Antari. All of Jem's hazers work like this but they don't call them fazers.

You can get very dense haze from a water based hazer since it is basically a smoke machine.

Jivemaster is right about lighting it. If you backlight the haze (light towards the audience) it will look a lot more dense than it actually is. If you then turn off the backlight the haze will miraculously become less dense.

I see! Do all water-based hazers work in the same way as standard fog machines?

Archived