LED wash unit

mcnallca

Hello there,

So I did a search for this but only got answers pertaining to moving head units. I am on the hunt for some good quality RGBW LED wash units with a means to attach barn doors and a good bit of punch, any reccomendations? Currently I'm using a wash of cheapo LED PARs but looking to upgrade to something a bit more useful and robust and crucially with a wider throw I would estimate I'm getting about 25 degrees beam angle out of PARS so really looking for something about the 40 degree mark. Ideally they would be a 5 pin DMX unit and have the capacity to take a gel frame (for diff or silk or the like). They would be exclusively for theatre use so the smoother the dimming and lower they can dim before they snap off the better.

Thanks.

Chauvet Colorado 2 Quad Zoom Tour are good if you are at a lower budget point than the ETC ones.

Barn doors don't really work on any LED par-type unit though - you can cut off a bit of the scatter but you can't shape the beam like you would with a fresnel.

Re: Budget - is pretty flexible there has been a long standing desire to replace these units in the venue and an incoming designer has requested something other than our current option all these factors combined leave me in a position to consider some pretty high end gear if the functionality is there.

Re: Barndoors - I'm aware that I'm not going to be making nice neat squares on the floor but the frequency with which there is some form of black wrap assembly on the front of our cans to deal with funny bits of spill on set pieces makes them a must.

Thanks for the suggestions so far

I'll take a look

You may find that PAR56 barn doors work better than PAR64 bard doors for a lot of LED PAR's.

The beam width is usually selected when ordering LED PAR's or washes. A lot of LED PAR's have narrow beam angles to keep the intensity high, so 25 degrees was a default beam width as it was close to a PAR64 medium flood of 24 degrees. For users of fresnels they would like 50 degrees or a wide flood, but then beam intensity would drop off. It is a lot better with higher power led emitters being used.

...but then beam intensity would drop off. It is a lot better with higher power led emitters being used.

Double the beam angle and you need four times the amount of light to maintain the surface brightness.

Hi.

I just tried out the LEDJ Performer 18 Quads (18x8W RGBW) this morning, although unfortunately not in the theatre... The dimmer curve seems "reasonable". At the bottom end it steps off a little abruptly, although it seems markedly better than an LEDJ Slimline 9Q8 that I own which snaps off pretty quickly at the lower end of the DMX value (which is a shame as I otherwise like that unit). The fan in the P18Q seemed a little noisy. There is no mention of any fan speed modulation in the manual and unfortunately I wasn't able to run the unit for long enough to see if the fan slowed after starting at what initially seemed full. I'm not sure I'd want too many FOH if you are in a small theatre, but you'd be fine on stage.

If they are in your budget range, I'd suggest taking a look. As I'm sure you understand they won't possess quite as much finess as some of the higher cost brands/products.

Weight-wise they are pretty light. I was a bit surprised, expecting them to feel a little more substantial. Still I am comparing with the smaller LEDJ 7Q5 which is passively cooled but does have a comforting solid weight (£79 CPC, 25 degrees, 7x3W RGBW/RGBW so likely a little small for your original spec).

Hope that helps. If there is more you need to know, then post and I'll see if I can find out.

Regards,

Kevin

Edit: Forgot to say for the OP, they do seem to have what look like a pair of runners on the front sides. I'm not sure they'd take a barndoor though, as there doesn't seem to be a lower foot. Needs more investigation...

Archived