Some Avo Questions

Mr. Nobody

I got some questions about different Avolites products.

1. At the moment I am using a Pearl Tiger, but I'm thinking about upgrading to a Titan Mobile. So what I was wondering was if the Pearl Tiger is more practical in some cases? I know that it's much easier to program shows on the Titan Mobile, but the Pearl Tiger has more keys and faders, which makes it easy to run chases and memories. Does the TM have a solution to this? Is there any reason someone shouldn't get a TM instead of the Tiger?

2. I've read about the Avo Graphics Tablet, would it be a good thing to have together with the Pearl Tiger? Does it make programming and running shows much easier? Or is it not really necessary?

3. Is there any way to use the Avo Simulator and a visualiser to make a show on your PC, copy it onto an USB-stick and then put the stick into the Pearl Tiger and run the show? Or do you have to plug your computer directly into the Tiger?

Thank you :)

The main "bad point" of the Pearl Tiger is that the software is not being developed any more and it's starting to look quite "old" compared to other console software. Titan software has a lot of nice tricks, much more visual operation and is being improved all the time.

You probably should call Emma at Avolites and have a chat about this, I'm sure she would be happy to discuss the options with you.

Tim has already answered most of it. Only you can answer whether you need the faders and physical buttons but there is a wing available now with 20 faders and 30 independent buttons or you could use a third-party MIDI controller which could give you the best of both worlds if you can justify the cost.

Regarding the graphics tablet I wouldn't bother. Very rare these days anyway.

You can use the simulator & Vis to pre-program and transfer to a console.

If you are just running a bunch of dimmers then a Tiger is perfect. Its more practical and faster to use than a TM and there are all your channels on handles in front of you.

However, if you are running moving lights etc or will be plotting using cue stacks then its time to get to grips with Titan for sure. Titan Mobile is a brilliant little desk and there is not much it cannot do. You will of course need a dedicated PC of some kind to run it. And when I say dedicated, I mean just that. Or, do as some people do if you have a Mac...install Titan on the Windows on Mac so that it is in effect a clean machine.

Okay, thank you all for great answers! I've heard a lot of MIDI controllers, but I really don't know much about them. Are there anyone you would recommend or does it depend on what you need it for?

How do you get the visualiser and simulator to work together on your pc? Whenever I try this they always run separately.

So you shouldn't have anything else on your Windows computer if using it with the Titan? It doesn't just need RAM and the CPU?

Thank you :)

If you're asking about the Pearl 2004 Simulator (ie. compatible with Pearl Tiger) then you need to select the 'simulator' radio button in Vis. There is no automatic patching so you need to manually create a theatre in Vis.

For Titan Simulator Vis runs within it and also has an option to auto-patch (default).

It is recommended that you don't install anything other than Titan on a machine that is going to be used for Titan Mobile or Titan One. This is to ensure there are no unexpected conflicts of drivers or applications that might affect output or stability. I would use this rule for any laptop/wing type system.

Archived