DMX controlled light show

renegades

Hello to all this is my first post in the blue room

I'm another one of those bass player singers controlling everything from stage

I'm going to revamp my light show and step into DMX controllers and LED par cans

at this time I control the lights using an home built control voltage 12V foot board

( What I want to do is program a light show, per song on my computer and then from stage pull up light shows via foot controller and time sync that show off the drummer )

Rather than using a 'home built control voltage 12V foot board' you would be better off using a MIDI footboard (like guitarists use, to change FX) and plug that into a MIDI-compatible DMX lighting interface for your computer.

I think, but no doubt somebody here will confirm, that with the Chamsys MagicDMX dongles you can use MIDI control...

Thanks Top-cat for your reply

I was thinking the same thing about using midi and getting rid of my homemade rig

I have the FCB1010 that I use for my bass rig and could probably use some of the channels on it for controlling DMX

As I am new to this any advice on DMX controllers and programs for my PC are greatly appreciated

I will investigate the Chamsys MagicDMX

Take a look at the Enttec DMXIS system, it is designed for people in bands doing what you are doing - has a pedal board style controller.

HTH

Edit to add: generic advice for selecting a PC or mac based Lighting control system: Find software you are happy with, THEN putchase the hardware. Not all dongles work with all software, some are locked into their own ones. Better to buy once, cry once.

I've not managed to do this yet. Nothing to do with equipment, but simply in terms of making it look good. I have all the lights, lighting control kit, pedal boards (The same behringer one as mentioned) and I can physically control the lights with what I have. I'm pretty proficient with band lighting - and have been doing it for a very long time.

What I cannot do is split my head an extra way. I can play bass, I can sing harmonies and doing both of these at the same time really taxes my brain. I gave up on the clever lighting control after one gig, when it was just brain overload. I went backwards and tried a simple 6 channel DMX control and just used a pile of LED battens in RGB mode. Two circuits - RGB to front, and RGB to side in terms of a split. Between numbers we have perhaps 30 seconds, and I still don't have the brainpower to be able to fiddle with the colours, which let's face it, is pretty simple on the technical front. I also have an iPad which I could tweak the sound with, but I can't do that either. Playing and singing uses up everything spare I have, grey cell wise. Maybe if the songs were simpler, the workload would go down and I could prod a few up down buttons with my feet - sad to say, I just can't. In the one show I did try with a real audience, I managed to get into a red state somehow, and it took three songs to get rid of it back into something brighter and happier.

Our sound guy can do lights far easier. The notion about playing a song, and hitting lighting chances on a musical cue seemed so simple and brilliant - but I was inept. I think it's why I cannot dance. I know how to, can see the limbs moving in my mind, but I just cannot do it. I'll concentrate so much on the legs, I don't notice my arms have frozen up, and my face got an expressionless stare to it!

I've not managed to do this yet. Nothing to do with equipment, but simply in terms of making it look good. I have all the lights, lighting control kit, pedal boards...

Our sound guy can do lights far easier. The notion about playing a song, and hitting lighting chances on a musical cue seemed so simple and brilliant - but I was inept. I think it's why I cannot dance. I know how to, can see the limbs moving in my mind, but I just cannot do it. I'll concentrate so much on the legs, I don't notice my arms have frozen up, and my face got an expressionless stare to it!

We so NEED a 'Like' button alongside posts :D

I can't imagine trying to BE the talent and trying to LIGHT the talent at the same time. I didn't think music was that easy. Maybe I should play bass from the booth while lighting the band!!!

I like what you are trying to accomplish. I know you can find a solution. You have a major advantage over the light person busking your show at a different venue every night: you know your own music and you have time to prepare lighting before the performance. Put together a look for every song with static washes or chases or whatever you feel. Use a Midi control to choose the playback for each song. Maybe have a default look for between songs. Between songs you select the next lighting scene. Hit a go button right before the music starts. Hit a stop button at the end of the song to go back to the default look. Don't think about the lights during the song. All doable. Best of luck.

1385566696[/url]' post='487280']

I've not managed to do this yet. Nothing to do with equipment, but simply in terms of making it look good. I have all the lights, lighting control kit, pedal boards (The same behringer one as mentioned) and I can physically control the lights with what I have. I'm pretty proficient with band lighting - and have been doing it for a very long time.

What I cannot do is split my head an extra way. I can play bass, I can sing harmonies and doing both of these at the same time really taxes my brain. I gave up on the clever lighting control after one gig, when it was just brain overload. I went backwards and tried a simple 6 channel DMX control and just used a pile of LED battens in RGB mode. Two circuits - RGB to front, and RGB to side in terms of a split. Between numbers we have perhaps 30 seconds, and I still don't have the brainpower to be able to fiddle with the colours, which let's face it, is pretty simple on the technical front. I also have an iPad which I could tweak the sound with, but I can't do that either. Playing and singing uses up everything spare I have, grey cell wise. Maybe if the songs were simpler, the workload would go down and I could prod a few up down buttons with my feet - sad to say, I just can't. In the one show I did try with a real audience, I managed to get into a red state somehow, and it took three songs to get rid of it back into something brighter and happier.

So, three options:One:

The DMXIS allows you to build scenes and switch between them easily. So it would be as simple as 3 pedals:

1. Last scene2. Next scene3. Blackout

So, song begins - next scene - song ends - blackout. Previous scene is purely I case you ###### up. Easy!

Two:Sequence your show and play to a click track. That way the lights will all be automated, the band tight as hell and you won't have to think about it.Sure, it takes some setting up, but the effect is much better - we use a PC to control backing track, click and lighting. We also use MIDI to control arkaos for visuals.

Three:Practice until your limbs do the thinking.

Either way, it's very possible.

Rich

Archived