Replacing my Lexicon MPX550

Bryson

Hi guys,

I think Lexicon MPX550 is on it's way out (encoders are haywire, screen is trash...). I suspect repair costs are going to exceed the value of the unit. So I'll probably need to replace it.

Looking at the Lexicon site, it looks like the MX300is the nearest direct replacement. Anyone got any thoughts on that device? Is there anything else is the same price region (Around US$400, or UK£300) I should consider?

thanks all.

Bryson

We have both the MX300 and MX400 at work. They seem to sound pretty much the same but the 400 offers greater editing and routing options, having the extra channels. I have also used a MX200 for several shows before.

Sound wise, they do what they need to, nothing to write home about but I can always find something that sounds right and does what I need it to. I'd rather have a Yamaha SPX, but I wouldn't complain at finding one of these in the rack.

Is this a personal buy or for a venue?

If it is for a venue then perhaps consider something that many visiting techs will be familiar with, or at least would see often in other venues also?

For this I'm a big fan of the Yamaha SPX2000. They can be had at around £3-400, they have reverb algorithms that many are familiar with editing, (from the previous SPX units), and sound just fine (if they don't then it's not the SPX unit that's the problem - learn to edit the presets! Of course if it sounds really bad (as in very crunchy distortion bad) then it could be the DA chips on the way out too, I've had that happen on a SPX900 and the actual output was a very crunchy version of the PCM audio signal which made it through the trashed chips, via a few random components to the output connector. Surprisingly the signal was audible and recognisable (although perhaps unsurprisingly when you consider how PCM is decoded back to analog...). Mine was not the only SPX900 that I have encountered where this problem occurred.

It's not my favourite reverb/FX unit (I am more partial to TC algorithms), but it does work, and visiting technicians will have seen it or its ilk in lots of other places.

Dave.

I think Lexicon MPX550 is on it's way out (encoders are haywire, screen is trash...). I suspect repair costs are going to exceed the value of the unit. So I'll probably need to replace it.

I have one of these and every so often it sulks. It will be a sad day when it does give up, it's a lovely sounding unit.

If I was looking for a replacement I would be considering the TC Electronics M-One. It's a little bit above your original price point (around £400) but well worth having a listen.

Or, I'd buy another MPX550 second hand, I do really think it's a gem of a unit.

Cheers,

Peter

Archived