Virtual Dance Choreography Software/Packages

SamDram

Good evening all,

I have been asked to look into purchasing some Virtual Dance Choreography software for some new dance studios we are getting built...I'm not really sure where to start.

Does anybody have any experience with such things? And if so, do you have any recommendations? I will be consulting with the dance teachers to see if they have any experience with Virtual Dance Choreography, but thought it would be useful to get a technicians opinion.

Many thanks

I come across this website in schools and colleges fairly often, and for a non-dancer it's impressive - but real dancers find it limiting because of it's inability to match the phrases accurately to musical hit points.

One dancer friend said it's just a clever gimmick that really has no real purpose. Having a new dance studio is great, but what would you really use the software for?

Yeah, I did feel like a bit of a douche after editing it without giving you due credit. Sorry. After some more research on VDC software, it does seem a bit naff...besides, I think the dance teachers should actually be doing the teaching, not some badly animated, pre-programmed sim.

I spent a while experimenting with that software, and as a teaching aid, it works fine to show the differences between linking phrases, so you can see the flow and development, but it's something with almost infinite variables when you consider 4 limbs, trunk and head moving in 3 dimensional space. In the computer version so much of the actual choreography is already complete in the available phrases - so it's tough to make it look bad.

I don't think anybody would argue dance teachers should teach. Care to share what you actually wanted to do with software? Some things benefit from visualisation - scenery, lighting, projection etc - but acting, singing and dancing seem unsuitable areas to hand over to a computer.

The idea is to have a system in place in which the teachers can make video recordings of students performing, playback, analyse and improve. It needs to be quick and efficient, virtually instant.

I have been looking at Dartfish (http://www.dartfish.com/en/education_software/cross-curriculum.htm) which seems to fit the bill pretty well...it may have been what was intended in the first place, I may have just been provided with the incorrect terminology, which sent me on a quest to find software that was both out-of-date and naff.

What is wrong with a small solid state cam. the middle (now low end) ones allow capture to pc for evidence, and have mini jack- rca(video audio) outs, so can be plugged in straight away to watch what was done.

I really would avoid some software in the middle, the students can see right away what is needed to be done, as can teachers. The "issue" will be finding a good location that will capture everyone. (though a mounted gopro might be the answer)

Archived