Wired IEM's + amp for Keys, Bass and Drums?

dickiefunk

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a pair of in ear monitors to put keyboards, bass and drums through mainly. I would also like to put vocals and sometimes guitar and sax.

I have tried the LD Systems MEI 100 wireless system and thought they sounded awful for this application. The distorted really easily and sounded extremely bass light and boxy.

I don't need wireless in ears because I normally have our desk sat next to me so just a good quality single channel headphone amp + ear buds.

What would you recommend say under £200 for all in?

if you have the desk next to you, could you just AFL (after fader listen) your monitor mix and run the headphones straight from the desk, then just buy a decent set of in/on ears?

+1, and that leaves nearly enough to buy a decent set of custom IEMs (ACS T3 in my case, £235 from Boots Hearingcare)

The desk I'm using is an Allen & Heath QU16 and I'm wondering if I can choose which mix buss I can route to the headphone output or if it's fixed to the main LR master mix?

Select the mix you want using the buttons at the bottom right and press the PAFL button on the master channel. Note that the faders will jump to send-on-fader mode for that mix though - if you want to tweak the main mix, you'll have to switch them back. A headphone amp on the bus mix outputs would likely be much easier to manage.

Archived