Unistrut Loads

numberwrong

Hi,

What can unistrut Zebedees take SWL?

All the info seams to be focused on UDL Like this which doesn't really shed any light on the Zeb rating.

There is also an M16 Zebedee (or 'channel nut') PNP16 Here.

Would be nice to know the difference in load

(and just to save someone the effort.....)

The points load depends on what it's fixed to, how it's fixed and the span also the brand. Ask the venue, check that all points have been inspected.

Thanks!!

I'm a bit confused, you seem to have answered your own question!Are you asking, hypothetically, how much weight could an M16 steel eyebolt screwed into an M16 channel nut take, if the unistrut it was bolted into was infinitely supported, braced, etc to the max so that the eyebolt was the weakest link in the chain?

So essentially, your question is &quot;what is the SWL of a channel nut?&quot; - as normally the eyebolt will have it stamped on it, and the unistrut, whilst not featuring any markings as such, should have it's SWL obtained by speaking to the venue's technical team, or the engineer who installed it.<br /><br />But yes I would say in most cases the strut will have a lower SWL at the location of the point than the actual SWL of the eyebolt. Hence it is important to check your loads with the venue rigger as they will have access to the data which (should have been!) supplied by the installation company.

As the 'pullout' rating on that chart is 899kg for a standard M12 Zeb, this means it has has a SWL of 178kg safety factor 1:5?

Or have I misunderstood?

I'm usually more concerned about the rating of the two inch screws holding the channel up into the plasterwork...

Absolutely! the fixing method is usually going to be the weak point but it's good to know the limits of the kit that you're responsible for

Thats correct the 5 to 1 SWL would be one fith of the pull out loading assuming the channel to be horizontal,bearing in mind the pullout would mean deforming the 2.5mm rolled steel channel,or bending the channel nut itself,both of which would require a very large load

Archived