Lanbox vs Anylight vs alternatives?

electronicsuk

Hi all. I'm looking for a system suitable for controlling house lights and a few lanterns in a combined cinema/theatre space. The major requirements are:

- HTP DMX input for control from external desk

- 2+ remote control panels/outstations with scenes and dimming

- Ideally in-built DALI or 0-10v output for house lights

The Anytronics system seems to tick most of these boxes and in a rather neat package (the Anylight interface installs into an Anytronics dimmer rack so everything is self-contained), except that the DMX input is not HTP, rather, the presence of a DMX signal on the input completely disables control from the remote panels/outstations. This would be hard to work around even with a stand-alone HTP DMX merger due to the fact that everything is integrated into the dimmer pack.

The Lanbox system looks far more visually appealing and also a lot more flexible, but there don't seem to be a great deal of UK distributors, it's more expensive than the Anytronics kit, and I'd need more separate hardware to make it work - the Lanbox LCX would require a stand-alone dimmer and probably a DMX to 0-10v or DALI converter, too.

Are there any alternatives to the above two that I should be considering? Has anyone used either of these systems and what were your experiences?

Cheers

Matt

It too may end up in the "more boxes that you want" scenario, but maybe the Z88 Chillis can do the job? They certainly do a "dimmer" that has 0-10V for fluoros, and it can accept buttony panels, and DMX, but I dont know if the DMX input is HTP or 'something else".

Don't think the Lanbox (despite it being a fine product) is the right answer for this application. One other possibility would be Dynalite now gobbled by Philips, who (used to) have olutions with both panels and DMX in.

If you are willing to wear a HTP merger, then another nice option would be CBus panels and their DMX gateway, you could then use Artistic Licence DMX to Dali. The CBus and Artistc Licence gubbins is all DIN rail mount, so could go in a nice box on the wall, with just DMX cables hanging out waiting to connect your rack mount merger. Or maybe there is even a HTP merger in DIN rail form factor...?

Might be worth a call to XTBA. If they haven't got exactly what you want on the control side then they can probably tweak an existing product to suit. Only control though - I don't think they do actual dimmers.

Dave

Thanks guys, I've looked all of those over the the Z88 kit looks quite promising, price wise it isn't too dissimilar to Anytronics, so I'll do a bit more digging comparing those two specifically. I checked out XTBA but couldn't see a lot in the way of controllers on their site, mostly converters and splitters/mergers, but it's something I'll bear in mind should any be required. They also have a rather nifty looking DALI programming tool, which is something I could do with getting my hands on, but I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere.

ELC do some nice bits too that might help ... The AC612 for example is a built in DMX merge and preset control panel which I've seen used in a few multi purpose spaces;

http://www.elclighting.com/products/DMX-controllers/ac612-range

Doesn't do DALI or 0-10 though so you'd either need a demux or have your house lights on DMX (which is how they are in the places I know that use the AC612)

Cheers, will take a look at the ELC stuff too. The only trouble there is that it would be difficult to have two playback panels, the outputs of the two could be merged but then it'd be impossible to turn down the lights from one panel while they're up on the other, e.g. last man out switch.

Archived