Desk Mics

Thomas1987

Doing more and more conference style stuff with 6 or 7 people presenting on a table. As a rock and roll venue, this is vastly outside my experience but I've made it work with SM58's on table stands. I'm after something a bit smarter though (on a very basic level our SM58's are rock and roll... i.e. a bit battered).

So, any suggestions for decent quality gooseneck/table mics? Room is a large reflective live music venue so fully aware they'll need EQ'ing to get a decent level out of them.

No idea on budget but I'd throw some higher prices and mid prices at me - its a long term investment so I'm happy to try and win it over.

It's a few years since I did conference work but I used to have good luck with the SENNHEISER SERIES 3 system. I'd use the cardioid head plus one of the goosenecks of suitable length.

The on/off switch on the table stand can be a bit dangerous...but, equally, when you get into the high end corporate market, the ability for the CEO etc. to turn off their mics is often demanded.

If you know a supplier, get a demo of the Beyer Dynamic MPR210 - it's a very interesting concept and so far has worked very well for me with a system that isn't particularly generous in terms of threshold before feedback.. Not particularly cheap at £300+, though I picked up a cheap 2nd hand one off eBay, and you might need 2 for 6 or 7 speakers, 5 is about the maximum I've used it on.

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/mpr-210-b-3365.html

Audio Technica do a good range of goosenecks. You might also want to consider the AKG C451. As a modular system, you can buy a gooseneck adaptor that fits between the capsule and body of the mic, turning it into something that can be used on a lectern or top table. In your music venue, this could mean that the mics could double up as additional condensers for gigs etc. There are plenty of these second-hand on ebay as they've been around for donkeys years.

One thing I would say is make sure you buy enough mics for what you need. Given the choice, I would generally prefer to have three not-so-good goosenecks for a six-person panel than two expensive ones, as some panelists will invariably bend the mic so it points at their mouth, and others will forget to move it back, or speak away from the mic. One mic shared between two is usually good enough, with a quick 'how to use a mic' tutorial given beforehand.

http://www.akg.com/C451+B-1039.html?pid=971

If you're having presenters (6/7 of them) on a 'top table' why not just go for standard conference mics that are used by most people? These being AKG C391 mics with diddy stands and pop shields.

For lectern use try Sennheiser MZH3015 Mini shotgun mics with lectern mounts.

You could invest in a few and hire the rest as they are around the £7 per day mark, diddy stands are around the £1 mark too.

Only buy what you're going to use a lot and top up with hire gear and increase only as and when you have more demand.

Just an idea....

Audio Technica do a good range of goosenecks. You might also want to consider the AKG C451. As a modular system, you can buy a gooseneck adaptor that fits between the capsule and body of the mic, turning it into something that can be used on a lectern or top table. In your music venue, this could mean that the mics could double up as additional condensers for gigs etc. There are plenty of these second-hand on ebay as they've been around for donkeys years.

One thing I would say is make sure you buy enough mics for what you need. Given the choice, I would generally prefer to have three not-so-good goosenecks for a six-person panel than two expensive ones, as some panelists will invariably bend the mic so it points at their mouth, and others will forget to move it back, or speak away from the mic. One mic shared between two is usually good enough, with a quick 'how to use a mic' tutorial given beforehand.

http://www.akg.com/C...39.html?pid=971

Unfortunately the good old C451/CK1 combination is now only available as a single microphone, no longer is the capsule removable. The two modern modular equivalents are the Blue Line series and the C480ULS series, but I can't find any VR1 or VR2 extension tube type accessories on the AKG website. I used to use C460 with CK61 capsules and a VR61 extension, either on the table or next to a lounge type chair if that was being used on stage, but these are discontinued. The C747 is another popular choice in conference circles but I have never ben a fan of the sound of them.

HTH

John

The C747 is another popular choice in conference circles but I have never ben a fan of the sound of them.

and the old ones (possibly not the newest version, but I've not seen them in the flesh) suffer REALLY badly from interference from mobiles handshaking with the network. Try telling the entire panel to turn their phones OFF for the duration of the presentation.

http://www.akg.com/C...39.html?pid=971

Unfortunately the good old C451/CK1 combination is now only available as a single microphone, no longer is the capsule removable. The two modern modular equivalents are the Blue Line series and the C480ULS series, but I can't find any VR1 or VR2 extension tube type accessories on the AKG website. I used to use C460 with CK61 capsules and a VR61 extension, either on the table or next to a lounge type chair if that was being used on stage, but these are discontinued. The C747 is another popular choice in conference circles but I have never ben a fan of the sound of them.

HTH

John

If anyone ever wants to buy some of the extension tubes, I have some sat in the store that have never been used.

They are exactly what I use for this, although a PCC160 sat on the desk tends to do quite well...

Thanks guys, lots of food for thought here!

Its looking like being part of a University may pay off, as the stores have some goosenecks- my only concern being that I've borrowed stuff from them before and its normally in a pretty "worse for wear" standard - fine for rock and roll, but certainly not a standard I'd expect for conferences. I'm going to continue the argument for purchasing a decent set of our own, and use the above suggestions as starting ground to work on budget.

I must admit the Beyer MPR gear looks fascinating - I find it hard to believe it can do as well as a set of table mics but I'm definitely interested and will have a chat with our PA suppliers. I also like the fact it looks reasonably sturdy - had many bad experiences with cheaper stands and mics, they just don't stand up to the day to day abuse that can occur, particularly in a University venue with students.

Very appreciative of the suggestions!

Archived