Low Fog

yanksrule0422

So I know this I probably a popular topic because the effect is so cool, but time is of the essence and I cannot take that time to scavenge for answers unfortunately.

Basically I need to create a relatively thick dry ice effect across a stage for about 3 min at the most. Should I actually use Dry Ice? What do you guys think is the best DMX machine (dry ice or not) that can create a decent size output on command?

The area of the stage that'll need to be covered is actually rather small, maybe 40 x 20 at best. I just need it to give that awesome effect of a cloud that's resting on the ground.

Thanks!!!

Justin

IMO, dry ice is the best effect. The low foggers available range from awful to pretty good, but I don't think any match the real thing. However, there are issues with the storage and handling of the CO2 pellets which may mean that a low fogger is a better option for you; the Jem Glaciator produces a good effect (but has a tendency to break down!) and the LeMaitre LSG - or I think it's called FreezeFog now - is very good but you need bottled CO2 and it takes up a fair whack of space.

+1 for real CO2 dry ice machines, and with a stage that size you will need two machines, best sited upstage one at either side.

My experience with low fog machines has been negative - tried a Glaciator down to the disco quality ice-in-a-bucket style, and even with fast disperse smoke fluid they have never been able to deliver for me. Others' experience may differ but I've never managed to avoid the smoke rising and spoiling the effect. And the cheaper machines will NOT deliver anything like 3 minutes of constant output. AND they tend on the whole to be rather noisy, especially those using cylinder CO2 to cool the smoke.

Yes, you have safety concerns with solid CO2 products, but as long as you prepare properly and use competent hands on the machines you can't go too far wrong.

We own a Le Maitre Freezefog unit and it's fantastic. Produces the nicest hanging low fog we've ever managed to get. Comes at a price though - the machine's expensive to buy, there aren't too many people hiring them and you have to rent bottles of liquid dip CO2. The effect is absolutely stunning though.

We reckon we get about 10 minutes use out of one CO2 canister, and have set up an account with a gas supply firm.

The unit can be quite noisy - mostly the sound of gas travelling through pipes. We're placing ours backstage and ducting it through. The knack is remembering the time delay between calling for smoke, and it appearing on stage. And remembering that when you turn the thing off, there's still a duct full of smoke to come through.

Hi all, long time lurker here but spotted this post as I recently hired a Jem Glaciator low fog machine for a local youth theatre company that I volunteer for.

I didn't want to use a real dry ice machine, both because of the obvious safety concerns plus the fact of having not many stage hands available for this particular production to operate it. Everyone was very happy with how the Glaciator performed and with the B2 fluid we had minimal rising of the fog, which was my major worry beforehand. One thing to watch is that the fog is really susceptible to draughts, so make sure you can try and avoid this and remember to turn your haze fan off when using it!

I took a short video during testing which I know isn't that clear but give you a rough idea what it looks like on stage:

We used it for several short periods of maybe 3-5 mins each which worked well, and ideally you need to leave a while between each use to give the chiller chance to cool back down to the -30 degrees that it operates at. I found that 50% output was the sweet spot, any more and you do find that the chiller starts 'losing its cool' as it tries to keep up with a high stream of fog for a long duration.

Cheers,

Ben

And noticing that you are in the states - you lot use dry ice in lots and lots more applications than we do - and so its cheap, in plentiful supply, and available everywhere. In the UK, its a pain to get hold of. In the states, its at every corner shop. (well, almost).

Get 2, as ynot has said, wither side of stage, duct it in, and make sure the water is hot and has had ample time to heat up before the show (we used to put it on a couple of hours before).

You will never be disappointed with the effect.

The other really cool thing about dry ice is that it is realistically possible to build one's own machinery for its deployment, particularly if one has one's own venue and it doesn't need to move. I know this doesn't apply to the OP, as he's in a hurry, but in the general case, it is entirely do-able.

The other really cool thing about dry ice is that it is realistically possible to build one's own machinery for its deployment, particularly if one has one's own venue and it doesn't need to move. I know this doesn't apply to the OP, as he's in a hurry, but in the general case, it is entirely do-able.

So true. The best dry ice machine I've ever used was one purpose-built for a production of Les Mis at much less cost than buying one; it's still going strong over ten years later (although I think it did have a new tank put in a few years back!).

Archived